PDA

View Full Version : NICU And the use of IV bags to facilitate position and head shape

huddo
02-05-2001, 05:18 AM
Hi I was wondering what other units use to faciliate trunk flexion and improved head shape. I know that IV bags under head and shoulders have been used.I am interested in any and all suggestions.

I am also wondering if anyone has any suggestion on the introduction of quiet time.

Thanks

karend
03-05-2001, 04:01 AM
For more information -look up the NEWBORN INDIVIDUALIZED DEVELOPMENTAL CARE
AND ASSESSMENT PROGRAM (NIDCAP) approach by Als. See the following web-site http://fhdno2.tch.harvard.edu/www/nidcap/

reneebrabant
25-11-2001, 01:34 AM
In the two NIC units I have worked peanut pillows during cares and playtime/interaction time have been used in order to promote midline head activity and head shape. Obviously these should not be used during sleep time or unsupervised time, as keeping with the current SIDS recommendations. In order to promote trunk flexion, nesting in the isolettes, and wrapping in the cots have been used. Quiet time as part of the developmental care prgrams have also been introduced for 2 hours each day in level 3 & 2, and for 3x2 hours in level 1.