PDA

View Full Version : Australian written exam results March 2010

emmi
28-04-2010, 01:25 PM
HI all,

the pass rate for the written exam to be recognised as a physio in Australia (APC process) has been 88% !!!! Another great achievement of Aapta study group.

Any of you interested in study material, liasing with other exam candidates and seeking for info please check our website AAPTA - Helping Overseas Physiotherapists (http://www.aapta.com.au)

We are a non for profit study group and you can join us for free!

Emanuela Canini
Sports Physioterapist
Migration Agent
(marn 0959191)

quorthon
02-05-2010, 07:44 PM
hi emmi....I just sent an e-mail to AAPTA requesting information about how overseas physios get supported for the APC exams....As i can see though u are an Italian ( i am Greek...) and i suppose that you have got through the whole procedure of the exams (since u working in australia,right??) so i d like to hear from you what kind of support u got from AAPTA during the exam procedure....u know, i am planning to migrate in Australia in the next 2 years and my major concern is first of all the written part of the examination....I am desperately looking for the curriculum used....u know, the bibliography i need to study to be best prepared!

Thanks for any reply!!!

emmi
03-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Hi,

I haven't had any support from Aapta because it was me and other colleagues to create it after we finished the process. I'm sure you'll find all you need in the file section (study material, info) and don't forget to chat in the forum with all the other candidates! Others' experiences are the best help!

Good luck
Emanuela

quorthon
03-05-2010, 01:21 PM
thanks emmy for the reply!!! Just because u had the experience of APC exams, i d like to know from you how much time BEFORE should i start to prepare myself for the exams??? To give u an example of this, i am planning to sit on the written exams on March 2012 (i hope the world will not have been obliterated by then....looooolll:D)...U may find it a little ...long time from now, but trust me there are some other issues i need to take care,for example to prepare and sit for the English language exams (IELTS), because without this certificate i cannot even apply for the initial assessment!!!
Just not to forget, is there any Fees for this kind of aid by AAPTA?? i couldnt find such information on the site

Thanks again
Cheers!

emmi
04-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi,

most of the people will start studying months before the exam, I can't tell you about my experience as I had to sit the exam 3 times, and luckily at that time I had had just finished a Master in Sports Physio, so I didn't have to re-study the orthopaedics area.

Aapta is not for profit and everything is free. Once you are in Aapta you can view the past exam papers and from there you'll be able to understand how much you have to study.

Emanuela

APC Office
07-05-2010, 01:55 AM
Hello

The Australian Physiotherapy Council provides details of the potential content of the written examination - this is available via the public section of the website http://www.physiocouncil.com.au/Assessment_of_overseas_qualified_physiotherapists/written_exam/ (http://www.physiocouncil.com.au/Assessment_of_overseas_qualified_physiotherapists/written_exam/document_view)

Terry_O
13-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Hi Emanuela

I have been trying to become a member of the AAPTA group but with no luck. Once I try to submit my registration and I click on become a member nothing happens. Should I be receiving some sort of response saying my application has been sent? Is it possible the form is temporarily down? Please let me know.

Terry :)

emmi
13-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Hi Terry,

sorry about the inconvenience, I'll have the website checked asap.

In the meantime, please sent your request to join to [email protected] and allow few days for the reply as moderators can be very busy.

If you have more problems please do not hesitate to contact me again, I hope to see you soon in our forum.

Regards
Emanuela

emmi
19-06-2010, 04:59 AM
Hi Maxwell,

I would like to clarify some points:

- I am a lady and not a guy
- I am a sport physiotherapist currently practising and not just a migration agent
- I have gone through APC process myself too in 2005/06 and struggled like hell because no-one helped me
- I have managed to change the process a little bit after a big fight together with other 100 physios involved at that time, it's all on the internet and you can read some of it at
www.aph.gov.au/House/committee/mig/recognition/subs/sub105.pdf
- Due to that fight I have founded together with others Aapta study group which is not for profit and has helped over 500 physios so far
- I have become a migration agent long afterwards, because struggling with the migration process myself and became interested in the subject
- I give free migration advice to all Aapta members
- and finally, it's not true at all that only 20% of candidates pass the clinical exam. Everybody knows that APC is formed by the peak people of the physio category in Australia, and we know that the process is difficult in order to protect their market, and that's what we fought and that's why Aapta exists.
- and I'd like to underline that everybody in Aapta is a volunteer and we'd rather spend our time with our families or having some hobbies. Luckily we still like to help our colleagues.

So, in conclusion, I would like you to have a bit or research before throwing suspicious comments on my or someone else's activity.

I wouold like also to invite you to subscribe Aapta anyway and have a chat with the other candidates and verify yourself.

Have a nice day
Emanuela

APC Office
19-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Hi Maxwell

As Emanuela has stated, the content of your posting is untrue. Please check your facts before making public statements that are not factual.

I must also point out that the Australian Physiotherapy Council is appointed by the government to perform the assessments - it reports to government. The government would not tolerate an assessment process that was in the profession's interest rather than the public's interest. The statement made by Emanuela that it is to protect the market is also untrue - Australia needs physiotherapists!

It is a fact that a physiotherapist practising in Australia has personal and professional responsibility for independent patient care and for independent decisioning making regarding individual patient care. The main reason people fail the clinical examination is that they do not demonstrate they can make appropriate decisions about an individual patient's care independently and so the patient would not improve or progress as a member of the public would expect in Australia. The assessment form, marking criteria and performance indicators are all made available to candidates and it is an objective assessment process comprising performances as the treating physiotherapist for at least three patients.

The Australian Physiotherapy Council has made, and continues to make, significant investments in the clinical part of the process.

The APC Office

emmi
19-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Dear APC office,

I appreciate your clarification.

With regards to the fact that the process of recognition might or not be set up in order to protect the Australian market, this is the opinion of the majority of the overseas physiotherapists. I say majority, however I have not found any with a different thought so far.

I understand though that I should have highlighted that I was referring to my personal opinion.

If it was not true I would expect clear signs from APC policy to demonstrate that. Unfortunately, since I approached the process in 2005, I haven't seen APC working on its policy to change the public 'wrong' perception.

But this is again my personal opinion. You know my point of view anyway.

Regards
Emanuela

maxwell
19-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Eventually some communication from the APC, If my statements are untrue what are the pass rates for the clinical exams.
However I do stand by my statement that clinical examiners who are lecturers or providers of further education have a conflict of interest as stated. Which I have tried to discuss with APC and given names of clinical examiners but have been ignored so far.
Unfortunately this must be also directed to the lady (apologises) Emanuela asbeing an immigration agent giving advice to overseas physios seems to be again a conflict of interest.
and again all overseas physios seeing this debate note what a mess it is.
Plus the APC says the clinical assesment is objective which it is not as the assessors are being subjective in their assesment, that is why candidates are not allowed to see notes taken by the assesors post exam
and again if any other physios need advice do not hesitate to contact me and see if we get any answers frm the APC regarding pass rates ;]

emmi
20-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Dear Maxwell,

I wouldn't call giving migration free advice a conflict of interest, which means that no-one pays me. Plus, any time I give migration advice I am obliged by law to identify myself as a migration agent including number of registration, because giving migration advice without being registered and properly qualified is against the law and subject to heavy penalties.

Regards
Emanuela

maxwell
20-06-2010, 04:13 AM
Dear Emanuela
What concerns me is that physiobob`s is being used to promote the APC process,which you admit has changed "a little "due to your efforts trying to make them more transparent. So you stated I was not correct that the pass rate was less than 20% in the clinical exams.
It seems you have access to information that states otherwise so could you please clarify the pass rate for physios who have gone through the clinical exam process as this is the true indicator for prospects of overseas physios not the initial written exam
plus hope APC coulsd also confirm stats
Maxwell

physiobob
23-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Hi All, Firstly I think you should ensure any comment is a personal opinion (some have) and also that you should check facts before posting stats. And when you do post stats ensure that you fully describe what they are referring to. I have had an email from the APC today and have posted it below

I am writing to report several potentially libellous postings on the thread - Australian written exam results March 2010.

"Maxwell" has made a number of false statements that have a negative impact on the reputation of the Australian Physiotherapy Council. The Council will not engage any further in refuting these statements via the forum but will place a statement on its own website.

I am making you aware that, as the publisher of the website, the Council asks that you ensure the content is factual. For example, the clinical pass rate is 60%; less than 10 out of 170 assessors work at universities and less than 5 are involved in providing education sessions for overseas qualified physiotherapists; no list of names has ever been provided to the APC to investigate allegations of conflict of interest.

Margaret Grant
Chief Executive Officer

Sugandha
24-06-2010, 03:36 AM
Hi i am new to this forum and I have come recently to Autralia and need help to complete the licence exam

I am writing to report several potentially libellous postings on the thread - Australian written exam results March 2010.

"Maxwell" has made a number of false statements that have a negative impact on the reputation of the Australian Physiotherapy Council. The Council will not engage any further in refuting these statements via the forum but will place a statement on its own website.

I am making you aware that, as the publisher of the website, the Council asks that you ensure the content is factual. For example, the clinical pass rate is 60%; less than 10 out of 170 assessors work at universities and less than 5 are involved in providing education sessions for overseas qualified physiotherapists; no list of names has ever been provided to the APC to investigate allegations of conflict of interest.

Margaret Grant
Chief Executive Officer[/QUOTE]

maxwell
27-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the clarification of clinical results, have these been published for public consumption ? and where can I find them ?
Regarding clinical examiners having connections with Australian Universities, have done some more research and I am unwilling to publish names on physiobobs.
Furhermore discovered interests of Australian Physiotherapy Council members relating to Universities.
I think a website such as Physiobobs is not the place to discuss such matters.
If APC wishes to discuss this with myself privately I am always open for dialogue.