Flag of Philippine
    Current Location
    Philippines
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

suctioning

I want to ask if in your facility you are the one doing suctioning during or after chest physio?

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: suctioning

Hi there,

I'm not sure if I understand your question. Within the U.K. it is common for physiotherapists to perform suctioning as appropriate within a healthcare setting to remove retained secretions. Within my last rotation, I was responsible for doing this for my group of patients.

I hope this helps.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Singapore
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Right in Singapore Physiotherapist are the one to perform suctioning post CPT as indicated. But at the ward and ICU levels nurses are also allowed to perform suctioning as and when needed. There are few hospitals on the private side where suctioning is strictly done by nurses only even after CPT! Basically it depends on your institution's suctioning protocol.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Philippine
    Current Location
    Philippines
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Because here in Saudi Arabia, the nurses are the ones responsible for suctioning. And I find it bothersome when the nurses are busy with other patients and my patient needs suctioning right away. If you have time, i will be thankful if you can record it in a video camera and send it to me.

For you, which is best, suctioning be done by the physio to his patient or let the nurses do it. Does suctioning really need a skilled hand of a nurse or we can do it by ourselves, too? And will doing it makes our profession have some "role overlap" between us and nurses?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    coimbatore
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

s of course......in our hospital also physiotherapist are theresposeble person for doing suctions.if PT is not available in critical sutition senior nurses can do .but 6 months before in our hospital they started a new courese called RESPIRATORY THERAPIST.nowadays they are handling suctioning and weaning from ventilators ect.....

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,
    I don't think it depends only on institution policies. It depends on training.

A Physio degree as well as a Nursing degree should include training for oral and nasal suctioning; in your clinical placements you should then be given opportunity to practice. If not, there should be on-site practical training in your department, when you are actually required to work in that area. We get yearly updates, as guidelines and equipment changes and as we don't all work in the area every day, but are on an on-call rota.

If you are trained but not permitted to use your skill, it would be worthwhile to get your manager to discuss this with hospital management. I would see that as part of their responsibilities.

Airway fitting and Suctioning is a skill; it is potentially dangerous - you can cause trauma, oxygen mismatch, infection and more. So, there is heaps of precautions and certainly a skilled pair of hands (if not 2) required. For safety precautions, if somehow possible, I would always have someone on site, as well.

Regards,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Florida
    Member Type
    Dietician
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

at our facility suctioning is done after chest physio

Banned Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Florida
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

chest physio prevents infections particularly to the lungs. which is better alternative also for other body pain

- - - Updated - - -

chest physio prevents infections particularly to the lungs. which is better alternative treatment also for other body pain