Welcome to the Online Physio Forum.
    DiRphysio

I am looking for other options with my degree in physiotherapy

Taping
    Hi,

I have been working as a physiotherapist for 2 years now and have currently found myself looking for other career options. I would like to know if anyone knows of other areas that one could get into with the knowledge and qualification of a degree in physiotherapy. I know of such things as medical and surgical repping, and also of medical insurance companies looking for pre-auth consultants.

I would really appreciate some help and advice on the possible routes that i could follow?

Thank you

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: I am looking for other options with my degree in physiotherapy

Hi

I am also going through a change in direction at the moment and I think there are plenty of options out there depending on what appeals to you. Have you been working in private practice or the public system??

You can go into sales and insurance as you have stated but they are not the only options. I do not have any knowledge of what opportunities are like in SA so can only comment generally. Working in the corporate sector is an option, a rehab consultant for work injuries and insurance claims is a coordinating role and completly hands off. You could study a few more papers and go into occupational health and safety. Finally you can practice as a health practitioner but not necessarily as a physiotherapist if there are other treatment philosophies and methods that you are passionate about, that would again require additional study.

A health promotion type role can also provide many opportunities. Get involved in some community/educational programs to promote an aspect of health and well being that appeals to you.

Hope this helps

DiRphysio

Hi Stevieb,

Thanks for the comment i appreciate the help. I have worked in the public system but am currently working in private. What kind of changes are you looking to make?

How would i find out about work as a rehab consultant? or about getting into occupational health and safety? Im considering going to a local university to find out what options they have there. Possibly a short business or management course to combine with my physio degree to use in someway or other. I would love to study again but unfortunately it would have to be a short course if i do, as its expensive and i dont want my current qualification wasted.

Thanks again

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Philippine
    Current Location
    Philippines
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Dear Stevieb,

I am Jeffrey T. Capito, a physiotherapy applicant from the Philippines who would like to work as a physiotherapist in South Africa. I would like to know the salary range of physiotherapist in South Africa. SAQA had already assessed my educational qualifications and had been considered. Please guide me accordingly. Here's my email address- [email protected]. Thank you very much!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Cardiff
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hello, in order to work as a rehab consulant for injury and insurance claims in the UK, do you reuqire a certain amount of clinical experience? HOw do you get into this line of work? Where are jobs advertised and are there full time roles available?

Quote Originally Posted by stevieb View Post
    Hi

I am also going through a change in direction at the moment and I think there are plenty of options out there depending on what appeals to you. Have you been working in private practice or the public system??

You can go into sales and insurance as you have stated but they are not the only options. I do not have any knowledge of what opportunities are like in SA so can only comment generally. Working in the corporate sector is an option, a rehab consultant for work injuries and insurance claims is a coordinating role and completly hands off. You could study a few more papers and go into occupational health and safety. Finally you can practice as a health practitioner but not necessarily as a physiotherapist if there are other treatment philosophies and methods that you are passionate about, that would again require additional study.

A health promotion type role can also provide many opportunities. Get involved in some community/educational programs to promote an aspect of health and well being that appeals to you.

Hope this helps

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    ireland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,

Are you working in non clinical profile as a physio?
    If you dont mind sharing with me your experience, as i am looking for a change myself.
    I am practising in ireland at the moment as a Physiotherapist.
    Any suggestion would be of great help
    Thanks

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Nations
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

hello, my friend working in non clinical profile as a physio, and I can ask him to give you some advices, it is ok?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Muscat
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,
    I am physio..with 6 yrs experience....I wn to know other career options with physiotherapy degree.

- - - Updated - - -

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Pakistan
    Current Location
    Pakistan
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    So i took a break from my practice for a few years. One of my patient actually offered me a job as a Wellness Manager for a new University that had opened up in the region. It took me a month to learn the ropes, but my experience as a Physio actually really helped.

I actually built the department of Wellness from scratch, opened up a first aid clinic, supervised the Mental Health counselors; and generally rolled out interesting and engaging activities. I worked there for 4 years, graduated a batch and then transitioned back into Physio. As i was missing being my own boss lol.

I am willing to answer any questions regarding this - you can reach out to me at [email protected]

Faheem