Current Location
    CT
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

18 days Post hip replacement, developed a thigh hematoma

Taping
    Doing a small squat per PT my thigh exploded. This is 18 days post hip replacement. MD did not do an ultrasound until 20 days after incident. Unable to put any weight on leg. X-ray fine. Thigh hematoma is 6.5cm x 5.5cm x 4.5cm. Pain is 24/7.
    Second US done 32 days after incident. Off aspirin for 10 days. Hematoma now congealed and creating pressure in groin all of thigh, position dependent. MD says wait until it absorbs itself, could take a month or more. I am so afraid of tissue necrosis and permanent damage. Not given pain medication to relieve enough so I can function. Is this detrimental to a recovery without negative sequele?

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    CT
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: 18 days Post hip replacement, developed a thigh hematoma

Continue looking for help...... my hematoma happened 3 months ago... I used ice initially and after 2 months figured out to use a compression bandage because to walk I needed to hold the thigh with my hand. I have for weeks changed to heat and massage. The pain was getting better, but now is getting worse. I can not walk on it at all and am hardly moving now. The pain wakes me at night. I need dilaudid for pain which only takes the edge off for 3 hours and I still walk with a walker or cane. My doctor keeps telling me to wait it out. What should I do, I am suffering so much and have not worked I. So long I lost my job.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Dawngri,
    - Note: I am not aware of the health care services available in your area, nor funding issues; please take this as a general comment:

Thanks for sharing your story. It is unfortunately impossible to diagnose the cause for your ongoing issues from the distance. May I recommend that you see a local physical therapist in order to get a thorough assessment.
    The treatment will then be developed in collaboration between the physical therapist and your doctor. This might include a review of your pain medication, muscle strength, gait pattern, mobility aids, exercises, .... . Sounds like you might benefit from an Occupational Therapist in the team as well.
    Considering that through the loss of your job, you are now additionally affected by psychological factors (which will impact on the pain), consultation with a social worker and/ or Psychologist within the team will also help.

Kind regards,

Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Germany
    Current Location
    Dalton in Furness
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others