Thanks given to others

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Wrist, Hand - Posterior - Left

Wrist, Hand - Posterior - Right

Wrist, Hand - Anterior - Left

Wrist, Hand - Anterior - Right

Physiotherapy hand exercises after surgery for broken hand : stiff fingers

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    I was thrown whilst doing sport and broke the 4th metacarpal bone in the palm of my right hand when i landed. I was put in a cast by a nurse then had surgery about 2 weeks later to insert pins to the fracture. I was then in another cast for 1.5 weeks. The cast was removed 3 weeks ago. I am having no further contact with the surgeon. The hand physio therapist has given me exercises to do as i can no longer form a fist or hold a pen due to stiffness in all my fingers except thumb and also stiff wrist/knuckles . My concern is that the hand is still swollen and i am not progressing with being able to form a fist or hold a pen. Should i continue with the exercises (I am worried they are making the swelling worst which is not improving my hand movement). In addition i think that the swelling is what is stopping me forming the fist in the exercises so im concerned nothing is being done to get the swelling down . My GP says swelling after surgery is common and nothing special needs doing. I am supposed to do the hand exercises every hour and to date te hand therapist isnt impressed with the progress i have made

How long until my hand/fingers gets back to normal. i would like to at least be able to hold a pen without the feeling of severe cramp/ tendon strain however my fingers just wont bend past a specific point

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Toronto
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thumbs up Re: Physiotherapy hand exercises after surgery for broken hand : stiff fingers

Quote Originally Posted by diddums View Post
    I was thrown whilst doing sport and broke the 4th metacarpal bone in the palm of my right hand when i landed. I was put in a cast by a nurse then had surgery about 2 weeks later to insert pins to the fracture. I was then in another cast for 1.5 weeks. The cast was removed 3 weeks ago. I am having no further contact with the surgeon. The hand physio therapist has given me exercises to do as i can no longer form a fist or hold a pen due to stiffness in all my fingers except thumb and also stiff wrist/knuckles . My concern is that the hand is still swollen and i am not progressing with being able to form a fist or hold a pen. Should i continue with the exercises (I am worried they are making the swelling worst which is not improving my hand movement). In addition i think that the swelling is what is stopping me forming the fist in the exercises so im concerned nothing is being done to get the swelling down . My GP says swelling after surgery is common and nothing special needs doing. I am supposed to do the hand exercises every hour and to date te hand therapist isnt impressed with the progress i have made

How long until my hand/fingers gets back to normal. i would like to at least be able to hold a pen without the feeling of severe cramp/ tendon strain however my fingers just wont bend past a specific point

Physiotherapy post broken hand op is a must. This is because it not only provides rigidity , but also flexibility of movement. When my DS got his hand fractured , it took him around 3 months to heal, after which we provided frequent physiotherapy sessions from RMTs at Physiomed. It helped. He recovered fully in few months.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    India
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Assistant
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Physiotherapy hand exercises after surgery for broken hand : stiff fingers

You can go for Ultrasound physiotherapy, It will give you proper pain relief. This therapy helps to reduce pain. While healing your body’s deep tissue, stress and muscle tightness and backpain can connect back to the root cause of your pain. Ultrasound therapy effects help to soften tissue cell metabolism. It helps to increase blood flow, it makes the cells more receptive to healing fluids. Ultrasound US111 is the modern device which help to release ‘Endorphins’ which is natural healing chemical released by body to heal pain. US111 therapy uses the natural approach without any side effects. For better results and improvement you should try out and to know more:- https://ultracarepro.in/product/us-1...le-ultrasound/