Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

hip replacement

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    why does a patient have a minor range of motion and reduced strength after the surgery?

reasons i know so far:

- swelling can reduce the range of motion
    - adverse-effects reflex can reduce the strength
    - pain due to the sugery can reduce the skills

what other reasons are there??
    and how can i reduce the swelling that shows post postoperative?

thanx for your help

greets..

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    EU
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: hip replacement

Additionally,

a few days bed rest can result in significant muscular atrophy, some of the muscles surrounding the hip/pelvis are cut through during the OP, neuromuscular recruitment is diminished due to bed rest and inability to recruit motor units post-injury/pre-op phase. Amongst others...

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Switzerland
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

thanx for your answer canuck..

is there realla an atrophy after a day lying in bed?or is it just the inability to recruit the motor units?
    and how can i treat this? is it enough if i just get the patient to activate his muscles again?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    EU
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Yes, as little as 6 hours of bed rest begins the process, however the the real significance is the effect of atrophy over the long term with possible concomitant problems such as: cachexia, sacropenia.

Additionally please read:
    Pavy-Le Traon, A. (2007) From space to Earth: advances in human physiology from 20 years of bed rest studies (1986–2006). European Journal of Applied Physiology

SpringerLink - Journal Article

Alkner, B. A. (2004) Efficacy of a gravity-independent resistance exercise device as a countermeasure to muscle atrophy during 29-day bed rest. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica 181(3)

Prolonged bed rest decreases skeletal muscle and whole body protein synthesis -- Ferrando et al. 270 (4): E627 -- AJP - Endocrinology and Metabolism

Calf muscle area and strength changes after five weeks of horizontal bed rest -- LeBlanc et al. 16 (6): 624 -- American Journal of Sports Medicine

Also, please consider time post-incident. Most patients I saw while I was on Orthopaedic ward would have 2-7 days before operation, and depending on co-morbidities another 2-7 to begin mobilising.

However for your patient, previous activity/strength levels are equally important.

I would consider rapidly progressive isometric, to functional isometric, to weight bearing based on consultant report asap.

Additionally to back up the 6 hours:

Related Literature Skeletal muscle atrophy begins within 6 hours of bed rest (Booth, 1977; Booth & Seider, 1979).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck Physio For This Useful Post:

hip replacement

PT Ibtehal (10-04-2012)

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Christmas Island
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

My view , the mobility ,rehabilitation better goes slowly to avoid protective reflexes ,pain . One of the reasons for range limitation the joint itself can not get more than 90 degrees flexion .

cheers
    Emad

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Switzerland
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

thanx a lot for your comments and links..
    i do think that the pre operative status of the patient has a really big influence on the healing process afterwards..

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by emad View Post
    One of the reasons for range limitation the joint itself can not get more than 90 degrees flexion .
    I don't really understand that sentence. Do you mean to say that all joints will not flex to more than 90??

I am doing post op checks for patients one year or more after their surgery, and some will flex to 120 plus quite easily. Some don't though.

Some have restricted movement from soft tissue tightness, and sometimes there is impingement at the end of available range. Often that is dependent on the orientation of the implants, or maybe heterotrophic bone.

Some of our surgeons advise their patients that they will never be able to flex "much more than 90".

... which brings me to the questions of "Hip Precautions".

Is everyone advising on the usual hip precautions these days? ... there is evidence that a stable hip is stable, and instability often is a result of inadequate placement of the implants. How long do you tell patients not to flex beyond 90 or adduct past mid-line?

It is really quite limiting for a patient if they are strictly to observe those rules for ever!

Here's another thing: In the UK we'd tell our patients that supine with a pillow between their legs was safest sleep position. If they really could not sleep supine we'd advise them to lie on their OPERATED side, with a pillow between their knees. Obviosuly this would be uncomfortable for most people until the immediate post-op swelling/pain had subsided.

Here in Calgary they are advised to lie on their GOOD side with pillows supporting their operated leg. This, I always thought, is the least safe position as the leg can "fall into flex/add". Indeed I found one of my Home Care patients had subluxed her hip sleeping in this position. I told her to stop doing it!! (and reduce flexion to max of 70 until seen again by the surgeon)

I'd be interested to know other people's experiences/views?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to morwenna For This Useful Post:

hip replacement

PT Ibtehal (10-04-2012)

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Switzerland
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

hmm..at the place where i work we also tell the patients that they can sleep on the good side with a pillow between the leg. to lie on the operated leg mostly really hurts them and is not possible during the first week..
    but of course if they lie on the good side the chance that the leg goes in to adduction is much bigger..
    most patients by us anyway prefer to sleep supine, even if they didnt befor surgery..

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by nadja66 View Post
    hmm..at the place where i work we also tell the patients that they can sleep on the good side with a pillow between the leg. to lie on the operated leg mostly really hurts them and is not possible during the first week..
    but of course if they lie on the good side the chance that the leg goes in to adduction is much bigger..
    most patients by us anyway prefer to sleep supine, even if they didnt befor surgery..
    Heh .... well, I used to find in the UK that patients just about got used to sleeping supine by about six weeks ... ie the time we told them they no longer had to!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Christmas Island
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Mawr :

I meant it preaucation .Unfortunately ,I have seen implants long time ago during my undergraduate study ,so that I can not remember how much range does it allow ,however it may be different from producation to another , just preacuation for dislocation . As for timing of keeping not flexing beoyend 90 degrees ,usually I tell them that but have not thought of long term .I do think mobility is central here .
    Just interesting to me ,in your practice do they recommend hip protector fallowing hip replacment for prevention of hip fracture ?

cheers
    Emad

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by emad View Post
    Just interesting to me ,in your practice do they recommend hip protector fallowing hip replacment for prevention of hip fracture ?
    No. We recommend our patients try not to fall over though!

The hip would not fracture following a total hip replacement anyway, though I have seen periprosthetic fractures (femoral shaft), usually later down the line.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Christmas Island
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Well , I began a hip-fracture prevention program however seems the prevention program is complex needs cooperation from all society and health professionals .
    There is eveidence that people who experienced hip fracture are more liable to have hip fracture on sound side and be ridden patient or sidentry .Of course, I am talking about elder people .

cheers
    Emad

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Well our patients are virtually all having cold joint replacement surgery for OA so most are not especially at risk of falls.

People who have fallen and undergone a hemiarthroplasty (or occasionally a THA) to fix a fractured hip are a different case of course.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I am in Calgary Alberta. My father has had hip replacement surgery due to a fall in a hospital and needs ongoing physical therapy. Are there private residential physical theraphy facilities in Calgary? Are there in home therapists to allow him to come home?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by mckee View Post
    I am in Calgary Alberta. My father has had hip replacement surgery due to a fall in a hospital and needs ongoing physical therapy. Are there private residential physical theraphy facilities in Calgary? Are there in home therapists to allow him to come home?
    Hi, well you should be given this information at the hospital before he leaves, but his options are to attend a PT clinic near his home, and he should have up to 6 (I think) visits covered by the Calgary Health Region at one of their contracted clinics, Rehabilitation Services - Community Physiotherapy or if he is unable to leave the house, Home Care offer PT services as well as OT and personal care. If he needs Home Care this should be organised before he leaves hospital. The Community Case Coordinator (assigned from Home Care) will likely be a physiotherapist so they can check and progress his exercises etc at home.

If neither of these options appear to be open to you, then there is one private visiting physiotherapy group that I have heard of in Calgary In-Home Physiotherapy & Acupuncture in Calgary, Alberta. (ab.) #49223779 I don't really know anything about them, but they are not contracted to the CHR so you would pay private fees .... Hope that helps.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Though this info might be a bit late, i advise those elders who will undergo a hip replacement surgery to be extra careful when choosing the brand. I guess you know the defective hip replacement systems of J&J and Zimmer. Just in case that you are a victim then go get yourself a hip lawyer.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Washington, DC
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I know this is not a recent thread but it answered few question that I was looking an answer for. One of those questions was the right sleeping position after hip surgery. Thanks Morwenna for your contribution. I'm also glad that I had my surgery after the defective hip implant recalls (I'm thinking about Depuy systems), so i don't have to worry about that and I can concentrate on recovery.

Last edited by csmith; 18-01-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typo

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    New York
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

yeah, apart from the right sleeping position, the rehab training is also an important aspect of full recovery. It is not a fast process but should be done over a longer period of time - and with a lot of care.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    New York
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I have recently had a patient who told me that apart from the postoperative rehab there is a further way of dealing with a minor range of motion - developed by researchers of antibodies. As postoperative swellings are sometimes the result of infections (even though these should not happen) there is a way of fighting the bacteria through medication. But I am not sure if that is already a fully developed treatment or if it is just at the beginning. Does anybody know more about that?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of England
    Current Location
    Sheffield
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I noticed a few other people mention "how long do you not flex over 90 and adduct past mid-line?" are there any rough time frames for these to give as advice to patients?

This confusion I imagine leads to another reason for reduced range of motion, minimal use of full available range due to fear of dislocation after stressing of the precautions at early stages??

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    California
    Member Type
    Social Worker
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Swelling is normal for the first 3 to 6 months after surgery. Elevate your leg slightly and apply an ice pack for 15 to 20 at least 2 times a day. An orthopedic doctor can guide you better.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    INDIA
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hipreplacement is mainly done for conditions like avascular necrosis,osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. It is a surgical procedurein which damaged hip joint is replaced with an artificial joint madeup of metal or plastic components. Certain infections liketuberculosis and healed septic infections cause the destruction ofbone around the hip and require replacement. After surgery, thepatient is allowed limited movement. Pillow or special devices areused to keep the hip in position when the patient is in bed. Checkthe link to know more about hip replacement and its rehab courses :Hip Replacement Surgery | Hip Arthroscopy | Cochin