Flag of France
    Current Location
    Bruxelles
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Total hip replacement clinical evaluation

Hi, I'm a physiotherapist student (and also a personal trainer)
    I'm in my last studies year and i made a work for this end of my physiotherapist studies.
    The work deals with the presentation, validation & confrontation of an total hip replacement evaluation which i made with several item (pain, mobility, walking...) with specific evaluation like womac, hip harris score...
    I just want to know how many scale, score, measure clinical, evaluation clinical do you know to evaluate people with an hip replacement
    Thanks all & sorry for my English or mistakes

Best regards

A.C

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Melbourne
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Total hip replacement clinical evaluation

Hai,

For Pain-VAS scale
    Mobility(Jt ROM)-goniometer
    Walking(Gait)-10 meter walking distance.

Kind Regards,
    Radha krishna.ch

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Canberra, ACT, AUSTRALIA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi DJ Cube

There are a large number of relevant outcome measures you can use for your evaluation. I am not going to list them for you as that is really your job but I will make some comments that I hope are helpful:

Do a lit search on medline, embase cinahl etc. using relevant keywords that may include words like outcome measure, test, index, and combine with total hip replacement.

You may ge lucky and get a good review. another possible choice is see if there are any comprehensive evidence-based guidelines on rehabilitation of THJR

map your measures against the International classification of Funcition so you have relevant measures for

impairment
    activity limitations
    Participation restrictions

YOu may also want to add a category on health related quality of life

Make sure your outcome measures cover key content each each category For example Radha Krisna ch has included tow impairment measures which are highly relevant and one activity limitation measure which is probably not adiequat because you are interested in much more than just walking. And you probably want a participation scale of some sort and a health related quality of life scale.

Then the ones you come up with you should review them for reliability, validity and responsiveness

Only select ones that measure what you want them to and have the best evidence for reliability, validiy and responsiveness.

Having more measures is not better. Rather you want to end up with a few high quality measures.

The last thing I would say is when you are evaluating make a distinction between assessment and measurement. Assessment is all about qualitative chatracerisitics like type of pain analysis of gait, posture etc. Measurement is precise and numerical. Your evaluation should have both.

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I would also suggest you consider the types of hip replacement or resurfacing as some measures may be more or less indicated depending on the potential outcome of each technique used.

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    new zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi djcube, I have used the LEFS (lower extremity functional score) which I have found to be useful.
    Regards
    Robotone.