Current Location
    UK, Birmingham
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Wasting triceps & pectoral, loss of strength

Hello, I'm new to this forum and really need some guidance with an injury I have. My sports are bodybuilding & swimming, I've been training for about 25 years. This is a new injury for me and I just don't know what to do?

It all started back in November, I woke up after sleeping awkwardly on my side and found that it was very difficult to extend my left arm. I had a dull throbbing pain between my deltoid and neck. The pain was quite bad and the maximum dose of ibuprofen & paracetamol with anti-inflammatories was required to manage it. After a week the pain subsided but I have been left with weakness in my left side.

My left triceps and left pectoral muscle are about 50% of the strength of the right hand side. My bench press has been reduced from a regular 160Kg to around 100Kg. Things have improved but only very slightly. My biggest concern is muscle atrophy. My left triceps and left pectoral muscle are visibly smaller, softer and wasting. I visited a chiropractor several times who suggested that I have a prolapsed disc in my neck.

I’ve started using a Tens EMS , electro stimulator unit on the triceps and pectoral to combat the wastage , but I don’t think it’s made a lot of difference. A guy in my gym had a similar experience after suffering whiplash in a car crash and lost control of his pectoral , but he regained control in about 3 months. I’m not in any pain , my problem is muscle wastage and loss of strength.

Please can anyone advise me on what I can do to improve this injury?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by physiobob; 06-03-2009 at 04:35 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wakaday For This Useful Post:

Wasting triceps & pectoral, loss of strength

tjb113 (20-01-2020)

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Oakland, CA
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Wasting triceps & pectoral, loss of strength

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Quote Originally Posted by one sided injury View Post
    wow sorry to hear that...

how did he say those form?

I have had similar symptoms to you. should I get an MRI?
    Some people are born with a syrinx, some people just get them in life for no reason, and some people get them from trauma to the spine.

If you think you have one, get an MRI WITH contrast. I got an MRI without and then had to get a second one with contrast.
    (Contrast is just an injection they give you so they can watch the spinal fluid flow around the syrinx.)

It's been a year and a half at this point. I realize I've had a syrinx / syringomyelia growing for at least 20 years and didn't know it. The MRI is the only way to find out.

I'm one of the lucky ones, my symptoms are minor. I've been working out like crazy and am in the best shape of my life again.

I'll never be as strong as I used to, but compared to the constant pain and paralysis some people get, I've got it easy.

I hope you don't have this, and it's just something minor...
    Good luck!

Last edited by droopypec; 29-04-2019 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Typos

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Donald
    Member Type
    Exercise Therapist/Fitness Professional
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by wakaday View Post
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and really need some guidance with an injury I have. My sports are bodybuilding & swimming, I've been training for about 25 years. This is a new injury for me and I just don't know what to do?

It all started back in November, I woke up after sleeping awkwardly on my side and found that it was very difficult to extend my left arm. I had a dull throbbing pain between my deltoid and neck. The pain was quite bad and the maximum dose of ibuprofen & paracetamol with anti-inflammatories was required to manage it. After a week the pain subsided but I have been left with weakness in my left side.

My left triceps and left pectoral muscle are about 50% of the strength of the right hand side. My bench press has been reduced from a regular 160Kg to around 100Kg. Things have improved but only very slightly. My biggest concern is muscle atrophy. My left triceps and left pectoral muscle are visibly smaller, softer and wasting. I visited a chiropractor several times who suggested that I have a prolapsed disc in my neck.

I’ve started using a Tens EMS , electro stimulator unit on the triceps and pectoral to combat the wastage , but I don’t think it’s made a lot of difference. A guy in my gym had a similar experience after suffering whiplash in a car crash and lost control of his pectoral , but he regained control in about 3 months. I’m not in any pain , my problem is muscle wastage and loss of strength.

Please can anyone advise me on what I can do to improve this injury?

How are you doing now? I have almost the same background as you and almost the same injury. I sit at a computer all day but I swim on my lunch break and lift weights at night. I didnt' have a traumatic injury, but I have the tingling and one side that definitley is weaker and that wasn't the case in years previous.

I also started using a Tens but that causes the muscles on that side to just get more tense.

I believe my problem is with a pinched vein or nerve that is somewhere along a common feeding point to that side, but I can't seem to locate it and / or fix it>

Have you found anything that works? Let me know!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Donald
    Member Type
    Exercise Therapist/Fitness Professional
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I see - that's a bummer that it's not something you can control but it's great to hear you're almost back to normal and killing it again.

Did you have any tips you used to deal with the nerve pain at all?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Oakland, CA
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

When I first had the pain:
    I lay in bed for two days.
    I bought a chiropractic pillow for my neck to sleep on. I still use it.
    I started sleeping with a pillow under my knees. Turned out that fixed my lower back pain, so I stuck with it.
    I kept a pillow under my right arm to keep it elevated.

It took 4-6 weeks before things got better for me where I didn't have any major symptoms.
    At that point, I could sleep normally in bed without arm elevated.

You have to find out what the cause of the problem is. Usually that starts with a X-Ray, then an MRI, then an MRI with contrast.

For most people, it is a disc in their spine which is bulging and pushing on the nerve from the outside in.
    I was a rare 1 in 15,000 case where the spinal cord is being pushed on from INSIDE out by a syrinx.
    There are other causes possible, but something is irritating the nerve.

In general computer work is horrible for your neck from having your hand extended using the mouse.
    The trap muscles and neck take a beating from that and ache at the end of the day.
    I have a keyboard without a number pad so my hand is in closer to my body and that helps a lot.
    I also have fully adjustable chair and desk height.

Looking at your phone is absolutely awful for your neck, toss the phone.

The upside of this is that because my nerve is damaged, I no longer get neck pain at the end of the day like I used to.

Sorry you are going through this too.

I never believed in chiropractors until I tried on out of desperation for my lower back.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    NYC
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi all,

I'm glad to have found this thread as I have been experience some similar symptoms in the last few weeks.
    Almost 2 weeks ago, I sat down to do my usual 60lb DB presses, nothing too heavy since having a right pec tear years ago. My left arm went up, and my right arm had absolutely no strength. I found it odd, but thought maybe I had injured something and decided to give it a rest. 10 days later, still not much improvement, I went from being able to do 100 straight push ups, 30 dips, 30 pull ups to not being able to do a single push up, let alone a dip. Pull ups were very lopsided, and I could tell something wrong, as I could not even hold a 20lb DB in a press position.

I went in for an x-ray from an orthopedist, who said he could not find anything structurally wrong with my shoulder, though he did say I did have a straightening of the cervical lordosis (natural curve of the neck). I blamed this on years of work on the computer and overall bad posture while sitting.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago (roughly a month after my original sudden loss of strength), for the first time in over 15 years, I had not worked out at least 4-5 times a week due to other obligations. I noticed that my right triceps (especially the medial and long head) was much smaller and softer than the left. Right pec at the time seemed as normal as before (post-pec tear, the right pec has always looked a bit different). That exact day, while standing on the train with a light backpack on, I felt a burning sensation from my trap/rhomboid area down to my right hand. The pain lasted for about 10-15 minutes and subsided, but there was an immediate sensation of numbness in my fingers, wrist and forearm.

I went to a neurologist the very next day and he told me to get an MRI of both my neck and my right elbow, meanwhile was prescribed a 6-day steroid pack (Medrol), as well as Gabapentin and Nabumetone (NSAID). Results came back as 2 herniated discs in my neck, C3-C4 (C4 nerve root) and C6-C7 (C7 nerve root) along with bone spurs. Basically I had the neck of a 70 year old. I could no longer fully open my right hand, the pinky and ring fingers would not open while my wrist was held in extension. Numbness had become so bad I had to go on a medical leave as I could no longer do my work.

Ever since my original diagnosis, I have received a second opinion from a neurosurgeon and both doctors believe that the plan of action is PT for 6 weeks and then reevaluation. I am hoping that the herniations will somehow resolve themselves, as medical practice seems to only deal with the symptoms of disc herniations (weakness, numbness, tingling) vs. actually being able to treat the herniation itself. I have been doing isolated exercises for my triceps, a lot of light 5lb-10lb overhead tricep extensions, tricep kick backs, resistance-band pull-downs, etc. Finger extension seemed to improve just recently, though typing still remains quite challenging. I can now do about 30 push-ups, and roughly 12 pull-ups in good form, as well as some bench-dips. However, the exercise that first gave me the most trouble (pronated DB press), I can still only do 20lbs, which is extremely depressing as I have noticed my right pec has significantly atrophied and I could barely flex the muscle itself.

I hope to keep updating you guys as I make any new findings, it's now been almost 2 months since my first sign of weakness, 3 weeks since the burning sensation leading to the numbness, and now 2 weeks since MRI indicated the 2 herniated discs (C3-C4 and C6-C7 and bone spurs). My main goal is to no longer have any numbness and tingling in my fingers, wrist and forearm, while regaining coordination in my fingers and wrist. I will continue to rehab myself with push-ups, pull-ups, dips and light weights.

Does anyone have any suggestions to target a pec muscle post pec-tear since it seems to have atrophied the most? I am quite depressed, having being active for the last 15 years, but hope to be able to make a full recovery from this.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I am in exact same boat. Mine was when I was doing my taxes on the computer and turned my head (after training 5 days that week) Felt tightness, then extreme pain in my back. Then the pain went to my tricep and forearm. After the steroid pack the pain subsided yet I was so weak I could not even do 1 push up. It was mentally draining. I continue to train 5 days/week yet progress is slow. I am now up to 34 push ups yet my tricep and pec are still not responding the way the should. My MRI and EMG show I have narrowing of the canal in my C7. I have been doing traction every night for 15 min, then I use the tens treatment, then I ice everything. I am type A and do this religiously. I have definitely improved but want these muscles to "fire" again. The muscle loss occured so fast I thought I had some major disorder. Please update me with any of your progress.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have any current updates on your condition? I am going through exact same thing. It is mentally draining.....

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    NYC
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I am in exact same boat. Mine was when I was doing my taxes on the computer and turned my head (after training 5 days that week) Felt tightness, then extreme pain in my back. Then the pain went to my tricep and forearm. After the steroid pack the pain subsided yet I was so weak I could not even do 1 push up. It was mentally draining. I continue to train 5 days/week yet progress is slow. I am now up to 34 push ups yet my tricep and pec are still not responding the way the should. My MRI and EMG show I have narrowing of the canal in my C7. I have been doing traction every night for 15 min, then I use the tens treatment, then I ice everything. I am type A and do this religiously. I have definitely improved but want these muscles to "fire" again. The muscle loss occured so fast I thought I had some major disorder. Please update me with any of your progress.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have any current updates on your condition? I am going through exact same thing. It is mentally draining.....
    Roughly 3 months out from the first time I felt the loss of strength. I would say my right side is about 90% or so of what it used to be, I'm able to dumbbell press 50lbs each side for 12 reps x 5 fairly easily, and push-ups are back to 100 straight. Since having the MRI and nerve studies, and being diagnosed with the severe stenosis, I try to stretch my neck as much as I can with chin tucks and scalene muscle stretches. I found that when performing a chin tuck, and then tilting my head to the opposite side of the stenosis (thereby expanding the canal in which the nerve root runs), seemed to help a bit.
    7 Kinds of Neck Exercises : Chiropractic Stretches & Tips - YouTube

I have incorporated a daily 15 pull-up, 30 push-up, 20 dip x 4 circuit to my daily routine, also targeting my triceps with some resistance band/cable work. I've tried to improve my grip strength with these rubber grip rings (50 each hand in the car while driving x4).

I have a follow up with my neurosurgeon in another 4 weeks, I'll give another update then, or if anything else comes up in the meanwhile. My best advice is to keep at it, and the progress will eventually happen. Human bodies are fairly resilient if you give them the chance to heal.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Swygart2, do you have any update on your injury? Mine occurred Feb 10, 2019, I am now 5 months in. My strength has definitely improved yet I am no where near where I used to be. My tricep (left arm) is over an inch smaller than my right and upper portion of my chest is still significantly smaller. Did your muscle recover? Have you had any more complications? I has been a competitive bodybuilder for over 15 years but now stay active training everyday but not competitively. It is mentally wearing on me w how quickly the muscle loss occurred. Just want to get it back......i have stenosis that has caused my issues...

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

How has the muscle recovery been? My strength is coming back yet the tricep and upper chest are still not firing. I wish you the best on your recovery, any help would be appreciated.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Toronto
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I've just quickly skimmed this thread; I apologize if I've missed some things. A couple questions that could help direct treatment:

1) Do you have altered sensation (numbness and tingling), and if so, where specifically in the arm?
    2) Has anyone been checked for thoracic outlet syndrome? I see this quite often.

You should be aware that imaging is rarely a good way to diagnose an issue. See Are your x-ray and MRI results helpful or harmful? - YouTube

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

1) Only numbness is in left index finger. Minimal dull pain in base of neck and do have occasional pain near collar bone.
    2) No one has checked this, how do you test for it? I see the neurosurgeon July 22nd.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I thought I'd throw my story into the thread since it's so similar to those who posted before me. I can only offer prognosis data, as I can't afford medical care. I'm not looking for diagnosis, just to offer my story which can hopefully help pros or others.

Origin of injury: No flu shots. No significant medical issues or history. 35 yrs old, resistance training average 4 times a week since age 14. Early January, 2019. I slept on the couch, which I rarely do, and woke the next morning with severe pain and stiffness in my left shoulder blade/left rhombic area and left side of neck. My wife was scheduled to be inducted for the birth of our child, so we headed to the hospital that night. During a two night hospital stay, due to complications during delivery, my condition worsened to the point of having to hold my head tilted to the left. I normally refuse to take medication, but caved and took some Ibuprofen, but it didn't help at all.

When we got back home, brand new baby in tow, I went to do my first workout since the "stiff neck incident". I normally start with pushups. That's when I got depressed, as I went to lower myself to the floor, my left side gave out and I collapsed flat on my belly. I noted that my left pec and left tricep were essentially powerless and wouldn't flex normally, only slightly. I panicked and began trying tricep pulldowns, my right arm was completely normal strength and flex. My left arm couldn't even move the cable. On the bench, I tried barbell presses, but my normal weight was impossible on the left side, right side was normal.

Over the next few weeks, I did chin tucks, which felt tight in the left rhombic region. I did weighted neck traction with an over-the-door-device. I started sleeping on a memory foam mat on the floor and bought a neck chiro-pillow to sleep with. None of these things provided relief.

0-3 months after the incident: I stopped working out. My triceps would twitch randomly. The pain and stiffness in the left rhombic/neck areas faded very slowly, took about 2 months. I began losing touch sensation in my left pointer and left thumb, could feel pressure sensations though. If I leaned my head back, in a looking at the sky position, after about 10-15 seconds a pins and needles sensation would begin flowing from my left shoulder/upper bicep to my left hand. The longer I held my head in that position, the more intense the pins and needles would get. When I aimed my head back down to a level sight position, the tingling would begin subsiding instantly and vanish completely within a few seconds.

4-6 months after the incident: Still have low activation in left pec and left tricep, and those muscles are still soft. All pain/stiffness is basically gone. Touch sensation returned, maybe SLIGHTLY muted. The "looking at the sky" tingling does not happen anymore. I began a modified resistance training regimen using low weight dumbbells, so I could isolate right and left side strength. I only do on the right side what I can do on the left side, to hopefully maintain body symmetry. The left side fatigues faster than the right side during workouts. My left side makes very slow gains, I had to buy fractional olympic weights so I could attempt to make strength progress.

Today (7+ months): Still no improvement to strength or muscle hardness in left pec or tricep. No pain, tingling, stiffness. The only notable anomaly that remains is after my cable back workout, if i try to touch my shoulder blades together, it feels like a balled muscle in my left rhombic area. This dissipates by the next day.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Toronto
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

1) Only numbness is in left index finger. Minimal dull pain in base of neck and do have occasional pain near collar bone.
    2) No one has checked this, how do you test for it? I see the neurosurgeon July 22nd.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!
    How was your visit at the surgeon? Was an EMG recommended?

I'd check for an elevated first rib. And consider the possibility of having a cervical rib.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hello,

This may help some of you. I woke up one morning in March of 2018 with a stiff neck from what i thought to be sleeping wrong. I went about my day cause this was not the first stiff neck i ever had. But when i went to the gym that night, while attempting to warm up with dumbbell shoulder presses , my left arm went straight up and my right arm would not budge. These were 40lb dumbbells. I usually warm up with those and go up to 70lbs by the end of the workout. I forced 5 reps out of my right arm but knew something was wrong. I thought it was tendinitis or something, being that i played baseball and had it before . But next workout same thing on chest day i could not bench 135lbs, i could not even do 5 push ups. I then started to notice my right tricep wasting away. I went to an onsite doctor at work, he tested all my movements and said you should be fine. I kept working out everyday lifting what i could which was nothing. It is now November and i have went from not being able to bench alot or do much weight on my triceps to now seeing my tricep gaining muscle and benched 275 once . I get strong every week but my right is still alot weaker then my left. It is coming back i never went to the doctor or got checked. I just googled and found many people with the same issue. My bicep and tricep are still pretty soft but getting bigger. Its been 9 months and i have seen alot of progress, i read somewhere it takes a full 2 years to get back to 100%. I feel i will be there in about 18 months. One thing i did was i kept working out the entire time. I never stopped which may be why i am ahead of the curve. Good luck to you all.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi, I had a very similar problem to many of you on this thread, and thought it might be useful to some of you to relate my own experience.

I lost all strength in my left tricep after no apparent trauma or other injury (detected by being unable to even hold up my body on triceps dips), and felt instinctively that it was due to the fact that like many others on this thread, I always slept on my side, and regularly switched sides during sleep.

Over a period of several days, the condition worsened and I developed numbness in the fingers of my left hand. Even a single press-up was impossible, so it was fairly obvious that as my pain wasn’t very intense, it must be a nerve problem.

I went to see my Physician who sent me for an MRI, which revealed that I had a herniated disc in my neck, which he diagnosed as the likely cause. But having done my own Google research, my symptoms and results of the tests shown on YouTube had indicated that a nerve pinch in the Upper Thoracic Outlet was more likely the cause.

I decided to see an Osteopath, who didn’t even look at my MRI scan photos, but instead proceeded to do some of the tests I’d tried myself from YouTube, plus some others. He told me that in his view, though he didn’t doubt that I had a herniated disc, the most likely cause of my nerve pinching was pinching in the Upper Thoracic outlet. He gave me two sessions of intensive massage around the pec and trap surrounding the Thoracic outlet and things immediately began to improve.

He told me that many people actually go through their whole lives with a herniated disc and never experience any symptoms, so it can be a bit of a red herring in diagnosis.

Returning to likely causes, I think that bodybuilders in particularly are vulnerable to this injury if they sleep on their side, because their shoulders are very broad. Unless they have a large stack of firm pillows, there is a tendency for the upper-side shoulder to collapse forward during sleep to compensate for the large gap between the head and under-side shoulder that would otherwise cause discomfort. So for prevention, I think learning to sleep on your back is a good strategy.

So much for the cause and diagnosis. Nine months after my initial injury I still have significant atrophy of the left tricep. I have found that the best means to encourage improvement has been to do hammer triceps extensions, because through trial and error, this is the exercise that showed the greatest disparity between the injured and uninjured triceps in terms of strength. I have seen a definite, though slow, improvement in strength, but the atrophy is still there. I’m assuming that this is just going to be a very slow process of re-activating neural pathways somehow, so will need to be patient.

I have found that flat bench pressing seems to aggravate the injury and have stopped doing it altogether now, but strangely inclined bench press seems to be ok (certainly nowhere near as bad at least). Not doing bench pressing is hugely frustrating, as I lost at least 10 pounds of upper body muscle mass, I’m sure due to the lack of heavy bench pressing. But I just have to take the long view and let nature do its thing. Good luck to all of you suffering the same symptoms, I hope my experience in some small way is of use to you.

Incidentally, a side note about Physicians and diagnosis in all this. I’m not a Physician, and I know that self-diagnosis via Google must always be done with extreme care and perspective. That said, I have much more time to research my condition than the few minutes my Physician can afford me, and my motivation for correct diagnosis is far higher, regardless of how professional he/she is. I’m an Engineer by profession, and I would never presume to know everything about my own narrow field of the subject. A Physician can’t be expected to know everything about a far more complex system than any I will ever work on. The difference between our professions is that by the human nature of his work, his clients expect a definitive diagnosis, whereas mine understand that I can’t always provide it. I say all this because whilst you may be fortunate to find a Physician who fully understands and is able to accurately diagnose your condition, this is in practice often quite a tall order, so doing a bit of your own research, like reading this thread, even if it only leads you to seek advice from another professional, is time well spent in my opinion.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Minnesota
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Reading through this thread has been great and has at least helped me appreciate that there are others out there that have had similar issues to myself.

As a history, back in 2016 I had a run in with severe back pain and muscle spasms that impacted my upper right back and shoulder area, as well as going down my right arm. This pain was severe and it lasted months but eventually subsided. I never did strength tests at the time and was not actively training or anything so I can't if there were any muscle issues. I did have an MRI at that time which showed minor narrowing of the spinal canal at C5/C6 and a bulging disc with moderate stenosis at C6/C7. An EMG was done as well which seemed to show abnormal readings that coincided with the MRI's evaluation. This is what was explained as the cause of my issues and I went through PT and regular McKenzie stretches to improve the situation. Eventually things improved and I went back to life as normal.

Fast forward to just before New Years this past December and I just went to lie down one night and as I laid down for no reason that I can tell my right shoulder and upper back pain just lit up like mad. I could barely even sleep that night the pain was so bad and I could only get even the slightest relief by stacking 2 pillows to elevate my head and then turn my head left and down so my chin was tucked against my shoulder. Maintaining that position was the only way I could reduce the pain whatsoever even with naproxen. I went to the doctor and was given a course of Prednisolone oral steroids and some Tizanidine to calm the muscles. Over a few weeks the pain steadily moved from the shoulder down the arm and the eventually subsided to the point I can I only trigger it with specific neck movements (looking far to the right or with McKenzie chin tucks).

However, this is when I started to notice the tricep weakness in my right arm. If I flex the tricep it clearly does not flex fully and is still somewhat soft as opposed to my left arm that flexes fully and easily. I also attempted to do some hammer tricep extensions with some dumbbells I have (5, 10 and 15) only to find that while my left arm can easily do them with even the 15, the right arm struggles with anything more than the 5. Now, I'm not a regular at the gym even though I should be (I do have a membership), so I'm not in the greatest shape in my life. However, I know I should be able to handle hammer extensions with the tricep over 5 pounds so there is definitely muscle weakness present this time around.

I'm not sure exactly why this chose now to flare up but I do have a few ideas. In early November I did get a flu shot and even though they say the shots are generally safe it has definitely been pointed out both here and elsewhere that the immune systems response can sometimes go overboard and cause attack the nerves. The flu shot is specifically a risk for this as it is not a vaccine in the same way the other vaccinations you receive in life are and as such it is prone to causing such issues. There's also the fact that over the course of September to November I removed the siding, soffits and fascia from my home and completely resided the house. In the course of doing this early in the process while removing siding I was standing on the top of a stepladder (I know, I know, you're not supposed to stand on the very top) when I shuffled my weight which caused the leg one of the legs to sink in to a mole tunnel that was apparently there. This caused that leg to buckle and fold and the ladder kicked out and away from underneath me causing me to fall backwards and land flat on my back. I remember specifically landing on the back first which then caused my head to snap back and smack against the ground which caused my vision to flash white briefly. The incident completely winded me for several minutes and I spend about 5 minutes sitting and recovering my breath. However, after I did recover my breath I seemed to be fine and wasn't exhibiting any symptoms of anything being broken or injured. It is possible, however, that the impact did cause damage that simply didn't immediately appear as it is no uncommon for spinal injuries to take months and even years before you start to suffer problems.

Regardless of what the cause is this has seriously been freaking me out so it has been great to read through this thread and see people discussing their cases that sound so similar to my own, though with obviously higher scaling on the weights since many here are no doubt in better physical shape than myself. I think a lot of people forget how important it is to hear and talk to people who are going through what you're going through to keep your thoughts grounded and stop anxiety from running away with your thoughts. At this point I'm probably going to have another MRI done to confirm the spinal issues seen 3 and a half years ago are still present and are flaring up again. The first visit the doctor seemed convinced it was a trapezius issue as the pain hadn't entered the arm yet and I hadn't noticed the weakness at that time. I have since messaged her updating her on the situation and I imagine the next step will be imaging again. Personally I believe it is likely related to the neck issues again since, as I have mentioned, certain head movements can trigger the right shoulder pain and sometimes even down the arm if I hold it long enough.

I really want to thank all of you though for your stories as it really has helped me put this in perspective and settle my thoughts on the matter.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Minnesota
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

So I had my MRI done and the result was not at all unsurprising. Compared to the MRI from 2016 it definitely was showing a progression in the disc issue and stenosis on the C7 which was described as "mild to moderate" in 2016 but is now marked as "moderate to severe" on the right and "mild to moderate" on the left. There was no stenosis on the left previously. The MRI also showed issues developing at C5-C6 and C3-C4, all on the right side which seems indicative the general cause is likely postural with the C7 issue likely worsened by the previously mentioned fall.

The C6-C7 is likely the root cause of all the issues I'm experiencing from the right shoulder and upper back pain, tricep spasms and weakness and pain or tingling at the elbow that can also radiate down in to the middle finger and inner sides of the adjacent fingers. I've also had back spasms for a long time and I've been told that this is also likely caused by the C6-C7 nerve issue since the latissimus dorsi also heavily relies on innervation from the C7 nerve root. Apparently the focus is often on the tricep because it's usually the more obvious and is more easily tested, but your lats can also suffer from a C7 nerve impingement which I was previously not aware of. A weakened lat can also create a cycle as it will cause someones posture to worsen without knowing it and that shifted posture can, in turn, worsen the impingement that's causing the problem in the first place. Anyway, thought I'd share that information since it was new information for me.

Anyways, I now have an appointment tomorrow with a "specialist", although I'm not thrilled with it. They set it up with a clinic that specializes in "conservative non-surgical care" which I'm not sold on because we did PT and an injection last time and now here I am 3 and a half years later with the same thing, only worse. So many times I've read about people who just went in and got a discectomy to resolve the bulging discs and were better in a short span of time but yet it seems even with my stenosis and bulge considered "severe" and with muscle weakening they still won't even talk about that option. I've heard horror stories of people who had similar issues and the clinics would only do PT who got worse and worse and when the doctors finally decided surgery might be a good idea the degradation was so severe they had to have a more substantial surgery done and some of the impact of the spinal issues were permanent. I'm going to make it clear to them when I talk with them that I don't want anything off the table because I'm sick of dealing with it and so far PT has not worked.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Oakland, CA
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I wanted to post another follow up. It's been over two years since the onset of my initial symptoms.
    I was diagnosed with a syrinx in my neck, and a smaller one in my lower back.

The good:
    My body has adapted the best it can to the new circumstances. The soft flabby pectoral and tricep on my right side are better, and flexing them no longer results in immediate cramping. I look and feel more symmetrical and when flexing my right pec it now behaves almost the same as the left. I'm able to do in the neighborhood of 50 pushups and 20 pull-ups, which is almost back to where I was before this all began. I know the problem is still there, but other muscles must be compensating and filling in, because it has improved which was initially diagnosed as impossible.

The bad:
    If I push it hard with weights, about 24 hours later I will have an unnatural feeling severe headache which will last a day or two. Bodyweight exercises are fine, but heavy bar weights will set it off.

I think I was born with the syrinxes in my neck and back they've just grown over time. The only other contributing factors may have been several neck whiplash car accidents growing up. (Nothing drastic, just some neck pain for a few days afterwards.) I also have arched my back when bench pressing for many many years when maxing out.

I hope that anyone reading this still suffering does not lose hope. I didn't. I've been doing P90X continuously for the past year and pushed it as hard as I can with bodyweight exercises and calorie counting. It has gotten better for me and I hope it does for you too.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for this comment.

I had very sudden inability to tense the bicep and corresponding muscle loss, seemingly overnight!! I too felt like some major disorder was happening

My GP is of course not concerned (are they ever) but I am seeing a neurologist in 10 days

I came here needing a little hope and I found it, which can be a godsend at times like this .

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Canada
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Hi fellow mate, I can easily resonate with your pain as I had encountered a similar situation. I, being an athlete, am very concerned and take care of my body as my most precious wealth. A few months back I had been diagnosed with a weak jawline and the doctor advised me to undergo a chin implantation, else constant strain on my jaw can lead to further complications in future. I was shattered down and was left numb on hearing this, as it would bring in a break to my athletic field. I finally had the chin implant three months back. Needless to say, the whole surgery had made my jawline much stronger than before and I could feel the difference in strength on my chins.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234