Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Newcastle
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 27, Male, Presenting Problem Since: 4.5 months, Investigations: MRI, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues

4.5 month old MCL Sprain

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi guys,

Had a MCL strain diagnosed with an Wikipedia reference-linkMRI. Was on crutches for about 2 weeks, then in a restricted hinged brace for another 6 weeks until I got back my full rain of motion. Have been doing home strengthening exercises and recently started some jogging and running in straight lines for a period of 8 weeks.

My doctor had initially told me that I should get back to regular activities after 3 months. And after those 3 months in my followup consultation he said the stability of the knee was good. He tried the valgus test but could not recreate any pain. During this time I had some pain/stiffness when waking up in the morning but would quickly go after bending the knee a few times.

It has been just over 4 months since my injury and I have no pain in normal movement, even running, but I feel a twinge when I do some lateral movement. I have tried the valgus stress test at home and it recreates the same pain from lateral movement. I don't feel any real instability of the knee, just the uncomfortable twinge when making lateral movements.

I am an avid sports man and would like to get back to my regular sporting activities as soon as possible so Im hoping to get some advice as to whether the pain I'm feeling is normal and if I should resume my normal sports activities?

Thank you for your time.

Kurt