Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    United Kingdom
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 27, Male, Symptom Behaviour: Worse, No Investigations, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Knee - Anterior - Left

Knee Patella Pain Please help

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi all,

I have real bad pain on my patella tendon and part of the bottom of the cap itself.
    Pain is present throughout the day during daily activities.

Pain worsens when straightening leg and tensing the quad muscle, climbing/decending stairs and when doing squats.

Iv had this pain over last few months as nothing major and would bother me if I sat for too long, then I had a football match last week and got bumped into but no contact to the knee. Since this happened my knee instantly became much much worse and swollen.

Im not sure what to do, I have been icing with bags, ice massaging, foam rolling my quads and surrounding leg muscles to loosen the area. But still agony. Got an MRI soon.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Knee Patella Pain Please help

Hi VanBasten,
    For pains located under the patella (Not patella tendinitis) due to patella maltracking I find a multi-faceted approach is best. Ice is great and you should continue doing this. Foam rolling around the knee is effective especially over the iliotibial band. Considering the amount of pain you are in you may require a course of anti-inflammatories, a visit to a physiotherapist to be shown McConnell taping for your knee and maybe some deep tissue massage of the lateral knee structures.
    This advice is valid for patellofemoral pain and is not suitable if you have meniscal or ligament damage. The above techniques can be useful for patella tendinitis.
    Hope this helps.
    Here is a link to a information sheet on knee pain.
    http://www.fountaingatephysio.com.au...ral%20Pain.pdf

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rod physio For This Useful Post:

Knee Patella Pain Please help

physiobob (29-06-2014)

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    United Kingdom
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Knee Patella Pain Please help

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Quote Originally Posted by rod physio View Post
    Hi VanBasten,
    For pains located under the patella (Not patella tendinitis) due to patella maltracking I find a multi-faceted approach is best. Ice is great and you should continue doing this. Foam rolling around the knee is effective especially over the iliotibial band. Considering the amount of pain you are in you may require a course of anti-inflammatories, a visit to a physiotherapist to be shown McConnell taping for your knee and maybe some deep tissue massage of the lateral knee structures.
    This advice is valid for patellofemoral pain and is not suitable if you have meniscal or ligament damage. The above techniques can be useful for patella tendinitis.
    Hope this helps.
    Here is a link to a information sheet on knee pain.
    http://www.fountaingatephysio.com.au...ral%20Pain.pdf

Thank you for the reply!
    Strangely, I played a little bit of football yesterday with a knee support on. Dont get me wrong it wasnt flat out playing, I was hovering around the pitch and having a little jog and kick here and there. And today it feels a bit better than before I played....
    Whats your thoughts on this?

Thanks