Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Georgia
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: older than 40, Female, Presenting Problem Since: 3.5 weeks, Symptom Behaviour: Mostly getting better until today, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): At night, I have more trouble getting comfortable and I am in more pain., Aggravating Factors:: Any leg movement makes it hurt more., Easing Factors:: Rest, elevation, pain prescription., Investigations: Lateral malleolus fracture, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues, Other Info: none

Lateral Malleolus fracture

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    December 11th early a.m., I rolled my left ankle as I was walking to the car. Thinking it was only a severe sprain I elevated, iced, and rested, no compression as pain was bad. I'm used torn meniscus in left knee, broken fingers and toes. Anyway, early afternoon I got to the orthopaedic's office and discovered it was a lateral malleolus fracture. In a fiberglass cast, and went back on December 22nd. X-rays showed normal healing. Casted again.
    Since the 11th, NWB and using a knee scooter to get around my house. Leg elevated unless it is necessary I get up.
    I've been doing better; less pain the past few days. Now, though, my toes are feeling weird, especially the little toe, my calf hurts, and my leg doesn't feel good overall.
    I'm going back this week to the doctor. I have been told I will be in a boot when I am out of a cast for at least four weeks.

First, is the current pain in my little toe and area, calf, and leg normal?
    Second, if healing continues at this rate, how much longer can I expect to be in a cast?
    Third, is four weeks reasonable to be in a boot or should I expect to be in it for a longer period of time?
    Fourth, will I need physical therapy? If so, how long will that be?

I am a kindergarten teacher and cannot work while in the cast because of the mobility issues and small children. I don't know what to expect and I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you.