Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    birmingham
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 51, Male, Presenting Problem Since: Several months, Symptom Behaviour: Remaining constant, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): Worse in mornings, Aggravating Factors:: Not moving about, Easing Factors:: Stretching, No Investigations, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, Cancer: Skin cancer plus lymph node removal from left arm/chest, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues, Other Info: No

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Lumbar, Spine - Posterior

Lower back pain

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    I have been suffering from lower back pain for several months now.
    Each morning I have to sit up on the side of my bed and bring my knees one at a time up to my chest before I have the flexibility and strength to stand up and move about. Once stood I am able to move well but regardless of how much stretching I do, each morning I wake up with the same issues.
    The pain is localised to my lower back only, when I cough or sneeze the pain can be excruciating especially if I am lay down.
    Do you think I have disc problems or could it just be tight muscle.
    Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    hatfield
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Lower back pain

At night fluid will accumulate in your spine hence the morning stiffness.
    Without a proper assessment it is hard to tell if you have a disc protrusion. Perhaps do research on lordosis of the lower back and how to get rid of it i.e. pelvic tilt. I have excessive lower back lordosis which gives me similar symptoms and it was due to anterior pelvic tilt (sticking my bum out too far) as I had very tight quads from a jumping sporting background.
    If you lie down flat and there is an arch in your back taking your lower back away from the surface you are lying on this is a good sign of excessive lordosis. Bringing your knees to your chest as you stated will flatten this arch and that what is leading my thinking. If this is the case perhaps sleeping with pillows under your legs to create this position throughout the night will ease some of the morning stiffness.
    But as previously stated this might not be your problem at all and it is hard to tell without assessment.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    birmingham
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thanks for you reply, I'll give that a go and see how I get on - thanks again

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Canada
    Member Type
    Other Allied Health Care Worker
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I would definitely suggest getting an x-ray or MRI done. I've suffered lower back pain all my life due to my scoliosis. Paying attention to my posture makes a big difference for me and on days where there is a bad flare up, i use a cold pack to ease the pain and bring down any inflammation. Treatment options are a lot easier to find once you know for sure what is causing it. All the best.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    India
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Assistant
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Physiotherapy helps to heal injury, illness, or disability. It helps to restore movement and function in muscle tissue or joint area. Physiotherapy helps to prevent further damage in the affected area. Treatment should be done to support and manage good health and prevent disease. You can do physiotherapy machine for home at any time and anywhere with a natural approach without any side effects with the help of an Ultracare Pro device which is tested and approved by a physiotherapist.