Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Cumbria
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 15, Male, Presenting Problem Since: 5-6 weeks, Symptom Behaviour: Better, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): During exercise, Aggravating Factors:: running, Easing Factors:: Not running!, No Investigations, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Ankle - Right

Question Pain during rehabilitation of ankle sprain?

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    My son is 15 years old, 6'1', 93kg. He plays rugby and has done since he was six and is in very good physical condition.
    Nearly six weeks ago he went over on his ankle during a game and seemingly sprained it. He was carried off the pitch but was able to limp around about half an hour later as the pain wasn't that bad. The pain was on the outside/front of the right ankle, slightly above. There was no bruising but there was swelling.
    For the first couple of days lots of ice was applied and for the first couple of weeks he had his foot raised when he was sitting or in bed. He was however, walking around normally with no pain even though there was some swelling.

In the last couple of weeks he has tried a light jog but has always ended up stopping after 20-30m with a slight pain in his ankle. We have had him doing exercises to keep the foot moving and started using resistance bands to help apply a little pressure when doing so and during these there has been no pain, so it's just when doing more impact based exercise.

Yesterday, we were at the point of the swelling having gone and him having no pain when walking or having the tendon prodded. I took him for a run and we did very light jogging but he kept stopping with a twinge in his ankle. So, I have a few questions:

Is it likely that his ankle is healed?
    Is it normal to feel pain after healing?
    Is there a chance that the pain is not to do with damage but weakness from not having used it in anger for nearly 6 weeks?
    Is it wise to continue doing light jogs and maybe jog through the pain?

We have him signed up to see a physio but not for two weeks so I am hoping to get some advice on how to deal with him in the meantime as he desperate to get back to training.

Many thanks!
    Guy (father of Luke)