Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Chicago
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 57, Male, Presenting Problem Since: 2 days, Symptom Behaviour: Constant so far, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): No, Aggravating Factors:: Nothing yet, Easing Factors:: Nothing yet, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues, Other Info: I don't think so

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Knee - Anterior - Right

Pre ACL-R Surgery: Clicking in knee, it's new, is it likely a problem?

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    On 29 October, I tore my ACL (second time!) and am going in for an ACL-R in a week (early December). I'm strong and healthy and am expecting a successful surgery, like last time. I am able to get around well, walking normally, bearing normal weight on it, no pain, etc. I just can't run or play ball or things like that.

Just in the past couple days, out of nowhere, I have developed a click in my knee when I extend and bend it, happening right around the 5 to 10 degree mark. I can even feel the click, it's forceful enough. This happens when i am sitting or lying down. Additionally, when I walk up or down a stair, I hear a different, soft double click. I have no idea how this developed, as I've experienced no trauma or twisting that I remember. I only know it wasn't happening before a couple days ago, and it's been persistent ever since. There's zero pain.

I called the doctor in advance of the surgery and the PA told me they will just have to look around in there and see what they can find, but they can't hazard any guesses of what it might mean in the meantime.

I get why they won't tell me: it's a liability issue and they're worried I may sue if they give me any erroneous guesses on whether it's serious, or not serious (yay, American for-profit medicine!). All I want to know at this point is, what is the most likely thing at hand here? Is it most likely to be nothing, just normal developments in a ACL-torn knee, and it gets fixed in surgery? Or is it more likely that something additional has happened that goes beyond the scope of ACL-R surgery to fix?

If anyone here is be familiar with this issue, I'd be much obliged if you'd share your thoughts. Thanks.