London
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

BUPA Physiotherapy Tender Process

Hallo

I think this is a great place to start.

In the UK we have been or are about to be told by BUPA (the UK's main PMI) that all Physio's will have to go to a blind tendering process to be able to treat and look after BUPA patients.

The prices they are quoting are for inner & outer London and the rest of the UK. The prices are nearly impossible to provide a profitable service. That is the least of our worries.

The biggest threat is to our clinical governance and clinical autonomy. The PMI's will be able to decide which patient is seen by whom and for how many sessions at whatever price they choose. This means that no matter what you clinically decide is best for your patient, the PMI will dictate how you treat them. BUPA's so called "quality" is non existant. This is about squeezing a very fragmented industry so they can make more money. Our relationship with our referring GP's and Surgeon's will mean zip. The cheapest will win, not necessarily the most clinically viable option succeeding.

BUT we can do something about this - if and only if we do something (and I know this all sounds a bit right on) about it. We've 6 weeks to mould and shape the future of the profession. As a unit we can do something.

Have a look at the very new blog thephysiosvoice.co.uk and add your comments. Tell your mates. Get scared, but you are not alone....

Cheers

TPV
    info at thephysiosvoice.co.uk

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by physiobob; 31-03-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Berkshire
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

re: BUPA Physiotherapy Tender Process

It would be very interesting to know how many of us who tendered at our normal fees recieved letters that they will be reviewing us seperatly
    I think it will be most, in which case we are in a very strong position as we are a very large group and BUPA needs us - they cannot go to another group or outsource us to India (as would happen with tenders in other areas of industry) as they are commited to providing a service to thier members.
    If we stick to our guns, and maintain our personal fee levels as a group, I believe we are stronger than them.
    Can this site set up a poll to see who recieved what letter? (Physio voice seems to have gone very silent on this one unless I'm missing something)
    I still don't see where what BUPA are asking for is any different from any other tenders I have completed (NHS, 'middlemen' insurance companies, coporate company contracts) - all of those ask for reports, direct billing,stats and restrict treatment numbers. All will allow you to increase your treatment sessions when you justify it. Every time I have tendered I have done so at a rate that I feel we are worth - some I've lost as a consequence, but have never backed down and won't do so this time.
    I actually feel there are 5 groups! - those that tendered below thier fees, (who will now have to work twice as hard to achieve thier previous income) those that tendered at thier normal fees and are awaiting the next stage with interest, those that chose not to tender and are comfortable with it, those who chose not to tender and arn't, and those that negotiated seperatly with BUPA outside the process.
    We must remember we are still a strong body with a lot of clout.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hockeyphys physiofirst have started just such a survey. I had an alert Friday evening. Closes tues pm so will have rsults Wednesday I guess

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    london
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Just thought I'd let people know. I did tender but at my usual fees (£10 above the benchmark for assessment and follow-up for my area) and have been accepted. Wasn't expecting that!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Congrats to those who succeeded. However, it might be that bupa had to agree to higher fees in certain areas in order to get the network? I dont know, but seems likely. I think those who got the 'maybe' email probably had someone else in their area tender below them. Just a thought.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Berkshire
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I am now very confused!
    After not being at work on Friday, I get in to work today and find 2 BUPA leters plus the e mail I picked up over the weekend!
    Letter1 (to me personally) - As you did not tender , you have not been succesful - etc etc
    Letter 2 (to me as clinic rep) Pleased to say you have been successful. Attached is a signed contract etc etc
    E mail (to me at the clinic) - we will be approaching you for further discussions!
    ???? - has this happened to anyone else? - shudder to think how BUPA call centres will field patient enquiries and what is on thier database - guess I now have to take more time out composing letters for clarifiaction!
    Can anyone post up the link to the physiofirst poll on BUPA's responses so I can access it? (Seem to have let my physiofirst sub lapse in the midst of all this!)

edgertonman Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Huddersfield
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Yes we recieved an acceptance letter on Fri followed by personal ones today as we had not tendered individually .An e-mail to BUPA told us that as a clinic we did not need to tender individually if all the physios were happy to have the clinic send inthe accounts.
    I would be curious to know how many duplicate entries there are in the total number of physios listed on the Bupa data base.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I have had a response from BUPA this morning re the 'maybe' email.
    Apparently for those who tendered and got this email, a decision will be made within 2 weeks and they will let me know the outcome.
    I have emailed them back to find out if there will be a negotiation, or whether it will be a flat yes or no.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

has anyone who tendered heard a definite 'no' yet?
    I am still waiting.....

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Actually, londonphysio, it's not clear what is happening at present.

According to BUPA, there have been the 3000 accepted (some, apparently, at above the 'benchmark' prices). The other claimed 400 are yet to be advised but, apparently, some who did not tender have been contacted saying that BUPA wish to reserve the right to be in touch to establish their position as, they say, some pratices 'bring quality' to their service and they would like to 'establish their position' but, in the meantime, they (BUPA) would ask them to continue accepting their patients.

Does this not have the smell of a U-turn or at least a demonstration of failure of the tender process in its initial format?

At present, it all seems to have gone a bit quiet with no particular direction being apparent - a bit like the current political situation with a paralysed Government imploding on itself!!

Watch and wait! I'm sure BUPA are 'delighted' at having been able to accept 50% - just 50% - of the initial target, ......not!

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

No updates from this end. I suspect they are being quiet on purpose to see if everything dies down a bit so they can begin chipping away again. I did however get a response from my local member to my letter who said he would be taking up the issue higher up the Gov't chain. So it is not to late to ask everyone to continue to send in letters of complaint to their local members to keep the issue fresh from our end. BUPA will be hoping our initial campaign fades along with the energy spent in making it all happen. We should be mindful to keep a continuous campaign going until we have a result.

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: BUPA Physiotherapy Tender Process

Well it seems that from recent comments on the Physio Voice that BUPA have not been able to get their network. Of course they did get a good starting point and I do feel sorry for those now getting paid less per session that the rest of us.

Comments include practitioners who did not tender at all who have remained covered by BUPA under their existing contracts at whatever fee's they are currently charging. There seems no actual end date to that at present. I for one did not tender and have heard very little. I continue to treat their clients and charge what I like.

The main thing to consider though is the fact that quietly, one by one, BUPA is trying to pick off practices to try to complete their domination of the UK market. I hope people continue to resist second and third offers to tender for the same deal as that originally offered. To tender at all is to see the further degradation of our professional autonomy.

I figure they are waiting for the results of the two complaints (OFT etc.) before making their next move. Let's all stand firm. Should BUPA contact you at this stage it means they need you! You can agree to a price per session if you like (even though that kills the marketplace) but don't agree to sign anything else that costs you time and money. Don't forgo the right to charge the patient at the time of consultation and don't sign up to increased admin.

Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    NI
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Any more news on the BUPA tender, has anyone been de-registered? Are the real winners those who did nothing and the losers those who tendered at benchmark?

parkerlindsey

Hi all...
    The BUPA tender process is going to start now. If it gets good response, it will invest the money in a new drugs. I think this may cause reduction in the number of osteopaths.

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Well as we have heard some people have now begun receiving letters saying they are no longer covered by BUPA.And to add to that their clients have received letters saying they are no longer covered by those individuals. More so that the reason for this is that they ensure they are only covered/treated by senior physios.

Now that's interesting. Perhaps the initial cull is on the more recent graduates already on their books. I've been on their books for 12rys or more since in the UK. I did not tender and so far no letter.

I was thinking about perhaps paying to have some website banner made for anyone who wanted to use one saying something like

"In the interest of an open market this clinic does not recognise BUPA health insurance. We support the physio access for all initiative."

Of course wording that is approved by legal. But something that shifts it back and acknowledges that it should and is We who do not accept them as we did not tender to their conditions and therefore could not be considered.

Any thoughts. I think that if this type of position took hold BUPA would hate the bad press.

Last edited by physiobob; 05-10-2009 at 09:35 AM.

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Gloucestershire
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I finally received the letter from Bupa a week ago; was beginning to think that they were quietly keeping some of us on the list, especially those of us who have been registered a long time. I am now drafting a letter to those of my Bupa clients that have come to me on and off for a long time (either for different conditions, or to get 'back on track' for longstanding conditions). Has anyone done this, and any ideas of wording? I gather that Bupa clients are getting a letter from Bupa about the register, and am hoping to see it, so I can respond to what they write. Most of my above client group have already said that they will continue to come to me, either by paying me direct, or some have said they will try insisting on seeing me. The best thing would be of course, if they change their PMI!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Question "may no longer be eligible"

I have been given my dear john letter from Bupa after over twenty years of treating their patients. My patients who have recently asked Bupa for new authorisation have been told that their treatment is covered until the end of the year.

I wonder if the door has completely closed. Look at Bupa's wording on the initial document they sent:

"Physiotherapists can choose not to bid but at the point at which the new network is launched, they may no longer be eligible to treat Bupa members or invoice Bupa."

Does "may" mean that if you are treating a coporate member who just happens to be a big wig in their company, then they will make an exception?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Gloucestershire
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I have seen the letter that Bupa are sending their members regarding their 'new out-patient physiotherapy network', and find it downright insulting. "the agreements we have with network physiotherapists ensure that only experienced clinicians treat Bupa members" I have 31 years experience, and it is partly because of my experience that I decided not to tender. Nowhere in the letter does it mention how many providers they have in their network - I assume the number is significantly less than before, and therefore there is less choice. Do the members know this?

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Again the recent BUPA letter to the members is something that the CSP and Physio First should be taking legal issue with.

I finally received the Dear John letter this week. Not moving my stance though. Of course offended since I helped research and co-author the UK's Guidelines on the treatment of Occupational Low Back Pain. I have also been the CSP media expert on PIilates and Back Pain. Obviously BUPA consider that not to be senior enough?

Surely the implication of their wording is to b challenged but then they know that perhaps this is the base but they've already sent out the letters and unless they printed a retraction letter it would be of little use.

HOw about the idea mentioned previously of marketing that we are "Recognised by all Major Health Care insurers. As part of the Access Physio for All Initative we DO NOT recognise BUPA insurance at this clinic."

Maybe the wording could be better but you get what I am aiming at. Any comments?

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Exclamation Authorisation Outside the Network ? What's going on?

One of my patients was up for Bupa insurance renewal last week, this is what he told me:

He told them he was not going to renew as his preferred physiotherapist was not on the Bupa physiotherapy network from next year. Guess what? Someone phoned him back and said he would still be able to see me if he wanted.

Did they give him the correct information? Is authorisation going to be given outside the Network if a patient insists?

Seems a bit like a car insurance claim process.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Last edited by Chartered Physiotherapist; 05-12-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Left out a word by mistake

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Yep, several of mine have just rung up and said 'I want to see this guy, he's not more expensive than the others and I've been seeing him for yrs'. Every time BUPA has authorised it. Glad to know the customer really has the power!!

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Ex-Network Authority

What I was meaning to put across, is that Bupa were discussing possible future authorisation from NEXT year when I will not be in the network!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678