Welcome to the Online Physio Forum.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    kayebaker83

How to start the ball rolling to work in Auz

Hello!
    I am 8 months qualified and am looking to go and work out in Australia (Perth hopefully) in the future and i was just wondering what the process was. When do i need to start doing things, how long does it take, how easy is it to get a job etc etc?
    Any help/ info gratefully received!
    Many thanks

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    england
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: How to start the ball rolling to work in Auz

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me......i qualified from a 3 year degree in sept 09 and since then i have done voluntary physio work which turned into part time paid work on a 4 month contract of msk, hydro and community. I am looking to head out to aus around May time aiming to work for about 8 - 12 months. However as you all know very well is is not that easy just to go over and get a job. From sending countless emails i have gathered that my best option is to try and apply for temporary registration but thats if i can get it. Does anyone know much about this process as i cannot find too much on the net about it? From reading your posts though it may be better for me to try and obtain a NZ registration, what do you think?

Any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks

elise

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Canberra, ACT, AUSTRALIA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Raglan86

If you only have a three year degree getting registration in NZ is quite difficult. As a back way of getting into Australia I don't think you would find it is very easy, particularly with your lack of experience. Our degrees are four year degrees, as in Australia, so when you apply that is the yardstick that you are being compared against.

Have you considered doing a year to upgrade you qualification in Scotland or Ireland? for example here is one at QME where you can do a Msc - 1 year part time or 2 years part time.

Physiotherapy Courses at QMU Edinburgh

I know it is more time and money but you working for no money anyway and at the end of it you would have a much more robust qualification that you can use for entry overseas.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    england
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi gcoe,

Thank you so much for your reply, a masters would be a a really good option but i was thinking of doing one later on in my career when i know what area i would like to go into. The reason i wanted to head over to aus for 8months is because im awaiting an operation but due to the donor waiting lists i have been given atleast a years waiting list. I would like to get out of england to gain some more experience but because im not having much luck, maybe i should try and get some physio assistant work, what do you think? The only other thing to do is find a sponsor, do you know much about this?

Thanks again for all your help

elise

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi elise,
    just wanted to support/ confirm gcoe's comments.
    To be eligible to apply for NZ registration, you will need at least 12 months of further study or work experience (to make up for the difference in study length). That's the minimum requirement.
    In Australia, anyone with a Physio degree can apply. Your application will be assessed and then you might be able to fit the criteria to sit exams - and will be able to get registered in the state in which you apply for this. There is no general "Australian" registration.

The Physio Assistant job sounds like the easy way out, however, these jobs are well sought and would require for you to show a work permit AND a medical certificate. ??? If you are awaiting an operation which requires a donor - well, for NZ you wouldn't get a certificate that confirms good health.

I would also recommend to go on with further study, or work as a research assistant.

Sorry, the news is not at all good.
    Good luck!

Regards,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    england
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thanks for your advice guys i have had no luck so far, i would really like to head out to oz anyway so i may just book my flights for may time. Physio assistant work would be the next best thing. I am fine to work health wise it is a voluntary operation as i currently cannot see out of one eye but i am fine working with one at the moment although 2 would be an advantage! If i am unable to find either i could always try to get some voluntary/work experience which would keep me in touch with physio and current practice.

Thanks again

Best wishes
    elise

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi, I have passed the assessment from the NZ board, thus have got the registration there and APC. My ultimate aim is to relocate to Oz within this year but I think I will need a work permit or an employer to sponsor me. As it will be a big move for me to a new country far away, I prefer a permanent job or one with longer contract rather than just a locum. I am worried that it's hard to find and switch from job to job if those jobs are just short-termed.

How's the physio job market there? I am willing to work in any state as long as the offer is favourble but which states have more job openings? Shall I look for a job first before I get registration in that state or shall I get registration in my preferred state first. Any suggestions about what I shall do to secure a job there?

Thanks in advance

Hi Elise,

If you are under 30, you will be eligible to apply for the holiday working visa. I don't know the full details. For such visa, I don't know if you are allowed to work full-time; however I don't think you need to pass any exam in Oz or complete any profolio in NZ before you go there. Maybe you can check this option before you head to Oz in May. Good luck.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    england
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Pico yeah i was thinking about that option so fingers crossed it works out! Thankyou for your advice.

Good luck with your move to oz x

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    england
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

sorry to bother you guys again but i have been searching on our UK physiotherapy website which has a newly qualified forum and found that a girl on there went out travelling to oz and picked up a junior rotation job in one of Melbournes teaching hospitals. I have thought long and hard about this and i think i am going to book my flights to oz and then once im out ther try my hardest to find some physio work.

I would just like to know your thoughts on this?

Thank again for all your advice it has helped me so much! x

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

There are always great jobs for travelling physio's down under. That's because many locals don't want to work in the outback (which is awesome) or even in Tasmania, which is spectacular. Darwin are always looking for people and the top end is also beautiful. Book the flight and check regularly on PhysioBob.com as these jobs are posted all the time.

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    england
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi physiobob thats brilliant news i cant wait to head over and find some work, i will keep my eyes on the physio bob website for jobs!

Thanks again

elise

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Melbourne
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by janembenson View Post
    Hi. I worked in NZ first and then transferred my registration to Oz via the mutual recognition sytem this meant I didn't have to sit an exam, the NZ rego process is easier and had a great time working in NZ before Oz. I am still here in WA 3 years later!
    Hi
    i recently arrived in Australia on student visa I have gone through your reply for some1 else regarding registration for physio I am an indian physio please can you help me in regards to this and u also mentioned there tht NZ registration is easy compare than Au please let me know the procedure and how come its easy can I heard they ask 7.5 in each than they give chance to set in written exam
    will wait for your reply at [email protected]
    thanks in advance
    Malini

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Melbourne
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Talking Re: How to start the ball rolling to work in Auz

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi guys,

We run an APC Clinical Exams preparation course for overseas Physiotherapists gaining their professional entry registration (Australia).
    This course has been designed for overseas physiotherapists who have successfully completed the APC theory examination. Our aim is to prepare you for the APC clinical assessments. By sharing our experiences, we will demystify the process and help you to gain the most from your study sessions, enabling you to demonstrate your true clinical skills on the day. The course is broken down into 4 easy to digest sections;

• How to Workshop
    • Musculoskeletal
    • Neuro
    • Cardio Respiratory

For more information visit the below link or email [email protected]. We are happy to help with any questions you might have.
    APC Clinical Exam Preparation for Physiotherapists

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12