Current Location
    NZ
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Competency exams

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Any NZ registration applicants here were "invited to undertake competency examinations to demonstrate your competence" in a specific area?

I have 10 years working experience but the board is "unable to evaluate my competency in neurology" because I didn't work in a neurology physiotherapy unit even though I treated patients with stroke/parkinsons etc in a medical unit. WTF?

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Competency exams

????
    Funny that. If you have continuously updated your neurological knowledgebase and have references that confirm your clinical skills in neuro, additional to some peer reviews, performance appraisals, reflective practices, and whatever else you have submitted, that should not have happened. Would be interesting and probably helpful for others to state what you have send them as "evidence" for your competence.

I once worked at a hospital in NZ, where they did some of those competency exams. Nothing special, really, just basic stuff (so I was told by a guy). You get assessed like they assess their students. Pre-read, hypothesis, clinical examination/ treatment, post treatment evaluation and analysis.

If you have got the skills and work experience, it should not be a problem.

Good luck,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Singapore
    Current Location
    NZ
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,

I have emailed the program coordinator in AUT and await her reply.

After leaving my first job in a big public hospital, I worked mainly with elite athletes in another government organization and since then, have been MS-biased...because that's my interest. I think it's only fair to develop/focus on one area of interest as time went by.

I know of an nz graduate physio who, upon graduation, went to work in a private physio clinic. That person never worked in a hospital, never had any exposure to other areas.

One of the board's problem is I haven't attended many neuro-related professional courses etc. My manager, and supervisor from the hospital wrote letters to confirm that I did work autonomously during my 4 years in that hospital and treated neuro patients but "the board is unable to assess autonomous practice".

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,

NZ Physio students have to absolve at least one undergraduate placement in each of the main areas. After that, they graduate and are free to work wherever they like.
    If your degree programme is equal to the NZ programme (e.g. Irish and Scottish), then you just need to proove updating of skills over the time of your post-graduate employment. i don't think it matters which area you work in.
    I believe, the British programmes are similar to the NZ ones, but shorter. I have been told, that if you have the British degree and an undergraduate placement in an area, then you also don't have to work in this area during your postgraduate years in order to qualify for registration.

So, if they say that they are unable to asseess for autonomous practice, then it appears that your undergraduate programme is the problem, not your post grad work experience.

Where did you train????

Cheers,
    Fyzzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    sydney
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by anothertrekker View Post
    Any NZ registration applicants here were "invited to undertake competency examinations to demonstrate your competence" in a specific area?

I have 10 years working experience but the board is "unable to evaluate my competency in neurology" because I didn't work in a neurology physiotherapy unit even though I treated patients with stroke/parkinsons etc in a medical unit. WTF?

Hey did you finally take the exam? was it written or practical? What was the level of difficulty

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    NEW ZEALAND
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I have been asked to sit for an exam. Dont know what will be the level of exam. It is a prctical exam

Physio Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Wales
    Current Location
    N/A
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hello
    My name is Sandhya. I have been asked to sit for exam as well but I have no idea how exam will be like and which one to choose . they gave me an option to choose between msk cardio and neuro. if you have appeared for exam please let me know how it was like.
    thankyou
    Sandhya

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Chile
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Kinesiologist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi Sandhya. How did it go with the exam? Did they ask you to sit for the exam after you couldn't provide more information/evidence for the other competences? Do you mind sharing how was that exam? Practical or written or both?
    Thank you.
    Cheers,