Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

how to apply for social security number (SSN) or Individual Tax Information Number (ITIN) number in order to complete state licensing process

Hi,

I am a Canada trained physiotherapy from a CAPTE accredited physio program (University of Toronto). I am going through the process of obtaining a physiotherapy license for the state of Massachusetts.

I have submitted my FCCPT. I have submitted my application for MA PT license.

However, one part of my massachusetts PT license requires my US Social Security Number. Which I don't have because I am Canadian. And I have also contact the SSN office, they told me since I have no work permit at the moment, I am not eligible for SSN. Instead of SSN, the MA PT licensing organization (Professional Credential Services) said I can apply for a Individual Tax Information Number (ITIN) instead to complete my license application. Does anyone know how to apply for a SSN or an ITIN number as a Canadian/foreigner to US for license application process.

I want to write the next NPTE. I don't know if the licensing board requires a complete licensing application (including ITIN number) before granting the Authorization to test. OR they will grant ATT right after application submission and as long as I provide that ITIN number before receiving license that's sufficient. Otherwise, I have heard even the ITIN number takes long to apply.

I have noticed that many state licensing board requires SSN, hope to know how everyone able to fulfill this section of application.

Thanks,