Country
    Flag of Brazil
    Current Location
    Sydney
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Has anyone been able to register in the US ?

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hey, just wanted to know if anyone has completed the registration saga in the US? I'd love to hear from you, promise I will not be a pain.. and more specifically if any Brazilian physios have registered there.
    Cheers,
    Janine

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Edinburgh
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Has anyone been able to register in the US ?

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Quote Originally Posted by Janinepv View Post
    Hey, just wanted to know if anyone has completed the registration saga in the US? I'd love to hear from you, promise I will not be a pain.. and more specifically if any Brazilian physios have registered there.
    Cheers,
    Janine
    Hey,

What I would say is good luck. Basically, if you aren't American you'll need a visa. This visa wouldn't be given to you unless the FCCPT accredit you. You wont be accredited unless you have a Masters Degree. If you have a Masters Degree then you pay around $850 to make sure your degree is up to doctoral level and similar to that of the US, they tell you "okay great, buuuutttt you need high school level Chemistry and you need to take a course, pass the exam and then talk to us". You then pay extra, you then find out the cut off has been elapsed to get a H1B Visa. You have to wait a bit longer (a few months) until you can actually apply for the visa. You are then given the green light to work but are highly restricted in what you can do with a H1B visa (just look up the videos on youtube). Essentially, if you wanted to get any additional income you can't, it is only valid for 5 years (I think) and you don't have the freedom to do anything additionally. If you have a PHd then it is relatively easy to go over (it will take a year) if you have a Masters it could take about 15 months and forget it if you have a bachelors and aren't American. I hope this helps but all of this information is on the FCCPT minus time scales and heart ache. If you are from Brazil and speak Portuguese then you'll also need to take an english test, but that would depend if your degree was taught in English or Portuguese.

I was looking into it for two weeks but i decided that my time would be better spent learning French and moving to Switzerland which is what I'm currently doing.

I hope this helps and I hope you find people who can inspire you to do what you want. You need to be really committed and pay quite a bit but it is possible, the salary is considerably higher than most places around the world and it might be a good investment to try and move over.

Good luck!