India
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I want to learn about physiotherapy

Taping
    Hi,

I want to learn about physiotherapy, it's kinds, tools to be used, way to do it and the problems that it can solve. I am a commerce graduate but I want to learn more about it as of my personal interest in it.

Can you please help me with this matter? Any book, online course, video tutorials will help. I cannot go for a college course as I have a job but I really want to learn it to help my Elders of the family, a brother who is into athletics and muscle training.

The only thing that I have learned is the back massage from youtube and used it on my brother and got the response that it did help him a little in relaxing.

Please help and guide me.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    utah
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: I want to learn about physiotherapy

Quote Originally Posted by sonics View Post
    Hi,

I want to learn about physiotherapy, it's kinds, tools to be used, way to do it and the problems that it can solve. I am a commerce graduate but I want to learn more about it as of my personal interest in it.

Can you please help me with this matter? Any book, online course, video tutorials will help. I cannot go for a college course as I have a job but I really want to learn it to help my Elders of the family, a brother who is into athletics and muscle training.

The only thing that I have learned is the back massage from youtube and used it on my brother and got the response that it did help him a little in relaxing.

Please help and guide me.

hi there if you are interested in learning about physical therapy you may want to send me an email message at [email protected] I can provide you with lectures, ebooks like that.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Sorry to possibly offend LecturePT,
    but I believe what you are doing is highly unethical.
    You leave the impression that Physical Therapy is something one can learn from books or lectures, when we all know that even the most basic 3 year degree includes weeks and weeks of supervised practice.

Sonics, if your relatives have health problems, please get them to see a professional Physiotherapist or whatever the process is in your country. They will provide them with an intervention plan that adequately addresses their problems. They will also show you which exercises you can do with your relatives. Your brother could join a sports club or gym, even if it is just for a short time - they have Personal Trainers and/ or Physios who can educate you and your brother in regards to training and injury prevention.

If exercises and massage are done incorrectly, they can do more harm than good, so please be vry careful with anythong you learn on the net.

Best of luck,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    utah
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Seriously,???? With all due respect fyzzio, I find that ridiculous, If you truly are a physical therapist, then you are fully aware that we have the right to EDUCATE people and to make them aware what we, physical therapists are and what we really do. This person is asking for help either they cannot afford to see a physical therapist or he/she is asking for professional advice regarding the do's and don'ts of handling their elderly family member and proper way of carrying out an efficient and safe exercise for his brother. Why on earth would you deprive an interested person of those sets of information? You don't need a 5-year physical therapy course in order to learn how to take care an elderly person and to carry out an efficient and safe exercises. You know sir you must be a person who came from a family or community that are financially stable or has easy access to healthcare to the point that you've forgotten that there are communities out there that lack access to medical care or facilities. Isn't it that as physical therapists we have to also consider the financial status, location, or geographics and culture of our patients or clients? What if this person who is asking for help is in that situation? huh? People nowadays may have access to the internet but that doesn't guarantee that they have access to medical care. That's why they google everything. As we all know not all information on the internet are reliable. That's why I'm offering my help as a licensed physical therapist who is specialized in community-based rehabilitation, of course, for free, I do have books about community-based rehabilitation which is intended to educate people in the rural communities. And also books which can guide a person for athletic training. Sir/ma'am the fact that the person is here asking for help, I assume that either their family can't afford PT or they don't have access. Please don't lecture me as if I don't know what I'm doing. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -
    I am not leaving any negative impressions to PT profession. If you are accusing me of that. I'm not being HIGHLY unethical either you're simply just being culturally incompetent. You should be aware that members here are not only from UK and US. You are not POSSIBLY OFFENDING ME, by saying all that, you ARE OFFENDING me.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Let me just say this:
    make them aware what we, physical therapists are and what we really do
    Exactly. I wish you would have done this.

You have quite clearly used this website to promote selling your books to different people. Most are on pages designated to Physiotherapists who are able to make a professional knowledge-based decision on whether your books are worth buying or not. But in this case you are offering books to an amateur without any information on our profession and the risks involved in learning form theory only or applying techniques and exercises that could potentially be harmful.

Kind regards,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    utah
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

HAHAHA you really are ridiculous sir., First let me tell you this. I am the author of the books I'm selling. I am doing it to raise funds since I am engaged in CBR- community-based rehabilitation. There are people out there, for your information, who can't afford to go to the hospital for physical therapy and there are people out there who have no access to health because of their location. Did I say I am selling my books to sonics??? "I can provide you with lectures, e-books like that". That's what I stated, where is the part that I say I am selling the books to him??? You know you are just giving excuses because you can't accept that you manifested CULTURAL INCOMPETENCE AND JUDGEMENTAL BEHAVIOR. Did you even read the thread??? The title of the thread is "I WANT TO LEARN ABOUT PHYSICAL THERAPY". Since I am a concerned physical therapist, I want to address his problem. Do you think I am stupid to discuss human anatomy and physiology? kinesiology? Therapeutic modalities? so on and so forth. Sonic is an example of a person who has the tendency to just find answers through google but he had the courage to go to this forum and ask for help since he believed that this forum is full of licensed physical therapists; where in fact, he could've just go to a rehab facility and ask for help. It's easy for you to just tell him to bring his elder family member to a rehab facility but you are not aware that if you study culture, There are elderly people who don't want to go to hospitals because they don't trust the intervention and believe herbal medicine or their traditional practices are more effective. And what if that elderly member of their family wants a family member to take care of them because? I am quite disturbed with your attitude towards your colleague and person who manifest enthusiasm of learning our profession.Second, If what I'm doing like promoting books and everything is wrong then the people behind this forum should be the one to say it, not you, you are just a member here just much as I do. You don't even have any idea how I am going to educate sonics. As the saying goes... Before you ASSUME - learn the FACTS, Before you JUDGE - understand WHY, Before you HURT someone - FEEL, Before you SPEAK - THINK. I am taking this seriously because I am worried about people like you who think what they know is the standard, who assume they are knowledgeable with ethics yet manifest cultural incompetence, lack of empathy and respect.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Dear lecturePT,
    have you noticed that the more you write, the more we learn about you?

Certainly, a lot of this information would have been helpful as a start.
    See it from a distance: You are new to this Forum and post 5 times in one day. 4 out of 5 posts are about selling books (by the way: check my comments please - I never said that you are 'selling' them to soncis).
    None of them with any further information but to contact you. There are no credentials that you a Physical Therapist and you are happy to educate and offer books to a layman without any questions, which questions whether you actually are a Physical Therapist. Your suggestions that sonics lives rural, does not have access to health facilities or health care professionals, maybe his elderly family dislikes hospitals and that they might not have money to access a hospital is just as guessed as mine. So, you are just as judgemental as I appear to be.
    This whole scenario is highly suspicious. Look through the Forum and you will find that this happens a few times a year in exactly this manner. Actually, it happened on the same day that you posted, that someone else started using the Forum to sell his books in the same manner. So it wasn't your intentions that are unethical, it was they way in which you offered to teach a layman Physical Therapy.

The information that Physiotherapists should never offer advise without assessment of the patient or the situation first is neither culturally incompetent nor showing lack of empathy and respect.

Kind regards,
    Fyzzio

Last edited by Fyzzio; 04-11-2016 at 08:31 PM. Reason: typo

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    utah
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    Everyone is fighting a battle you know nothing about. okay, I guess I have to say I give up explaining things to a narrow-minded bigot. Thanks for your time. God Bless.