Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Thoracic Spine

Erector spinae problem

Taping
    Hello, I have quite a big problem that prevents me from functioning or training properly.

I have a huge muscle imbalance in my spine extensors.
    The left side is much bigger than the right side and takes more work. He gets tired very quickly, deadlift training is the most problematic. Even just standing or washing dishes is tiresome.

The symptom is simply a burning sensation in the left side of the erector spinae. It is also difficult to activate the right side in exercises. Though I don't know how to do it correctly.
    What exercises do you recommend for isolating the right spine extensor?
    As I said, when I do the usual-basic spine extensor exercises I only feel my left side and I get tired / burn quickly

Similar Threads:

Forum Founder Array
    Official Forum Adviser
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Erector spinae problem

Hi Peter2 and thanks for the post. I might start by saying because you don't feel the right hand side it might well be that is because it is functioning normally and not in a dysfunctional way. The large bulk of muscle that you might 'see' in that area is often the lats and not so much the erector spinae as they run vertically like cables. Of course you see over the top the various sections of the trapezius and if you're bulked up then some rhomboids as well.

I have found in weight lifters that the way to reducing that fatigue sensation in the trunk is to focus more on the abdominals and glutes/hamstrings in activities like bent over rows, deadlifts etc. They need to fire up as you lean forward and if they are not then you end up with a long bulky level hanging on the small musculature of the lumbar spine. In addition to that post around 90 degrees of forward flexion the erector spinae muscles switch off (myoelectric silence on EMG), perhaps as a safety mechanism. That means the support of the trunk relies on the abdominal complex (especially the obliques & transversus) and then the gluteals and hamstrings to work eccentrically and then concentrically as you move past 90 degrees and the come back up from the floor.

Without assessing you in person it is hard to be super specific suffice to say nearly everyone could do with dropping the weight and focusing on the pelvic movement on the hip joints in these types of movements.

As for the warmth sensation that might well be a small restriction/compression at the base of the next as the Cervicothoracic junction. You'd want some deep tissue work on your back in combination with some regular releasing on a ball and or foam roller to help maintain that movement.

I hope this provides some perspective on your situation and a way to self explore a little more.

regards
    PBJ

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

3. The Following User Says Thank You to physiobob For This Useful Post:

Erector spinae problem

Peter2 (16-12-2021)

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Poland
    Current Location
    Poland
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thanks, you were right all along. Just side plank for 30 seconds and 3 sets did fix my problem. More focus on pelvis and abdomen while walking or standing. Maybe adding relaxation ball would be good idea but i feel like my problem is already fixed.
    I have last one question about deadlifts, mostly about focusing on hamstring. Can a very tense harmstring with a poor range of motion cause the back to take too much work? Should I mobilize harmstring and take care of the range of motion. If so what level should I get. Yes i work on computer a lot

Forum Founder Array
    Official Forum Adviser
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    Hamstring range will come as you work/strengthen the muscle into the new deeper range of motion. Think if it as letting go, which it will only do as the subconscious brain (and muscle) gets confident that it will not get injured if it does. Hope that makes sense.

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter