Current Location
    Mumbai
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Recovery from Shoulder Dislocation

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    Hi I'm 19 years old and I dislocated my left shoulder (for the first time) back in January. As per my doctors advice I went for physiotherapy after some rest and I followed the therapist's recommended exercise routine. Now I've regained my flexibility and the pain is more or less gone. I used to gym and jog regularly before that. Now I can jog fine but I have no idea whether I can hit the gym yet. Recently I decided to start working towards getting to a level where I might be able to go to the gym again. I'm doing the exercises my therapist told me to do earlier, this time with an 8 lbs weight. When I was recovering I was using a 2 lbs weight.

I want to keep going and I was wondering if anyone has any advice from experience to help me improve my shoulder's strength?

At the moment when I lie down on my back and put my left hand behind my head or right next to it such that my arm forms an "L" shape, I experience some pain that feels like tension in the muscles or something. I can't keep it in that position for too long or it pains. What exercises could I do to help strengthen my shoulder and get rid of this pain?

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    namebia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Recovery from Shoulder Dislocation

Hi Buddy,
    First and foremost you please give details of the exercise program designed to you by your physio.I think,then only physios over here can guide you more efficiently
    when shoulder is dislocated once.the normal support and stability provided by the capsule ceases,especially in extremes of ranges.
    during as day to day activities we are using shoulder mostly in the middle range.here the stability is provided mainly by the muscles,especially the Wikipedia reference-linkrotator cuff.in your case more emphasis should be given to the rotator cuff muscle.i Hope your exercise programme includes strengthening ex to these muscles.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Mumbai
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Ok. I made a note of the exercises my physiotherapist gave me because I couldn't remember them all together of the top of my head and they're basically the following:
    1. Bring DB towards/away from shoulder with palm facing shoulder (simple bisceps exercise)
    2. Repeat but with palm perpendicular to shoulder
    3. Raise DB laterally to form a sort of 180 degrees (if using both hands, but I have to use one) and back down
    4. Raise DB straight up above head by pushing it straight up
    5. Raise DB straight up by lifting arm in a sort of rotational motion
    6. Tuck elbow inside, and DB across stomach (L shaped) and then take the DB out till 90 degrees only
    7. Making a sort of movement like using a hacksaw with DB in hand. Hand in L-shaped movement forward and back.
    8. Shrugs with DB
    9. Pushing shoulders back to touch blades
    10. Rotating arm to 360 degrees normally without DB

DB=Dumbbell
    Exercises 1-5 I do first while standing and then while lying down on my bed.

I can't remember if there was anything specific for my triceps so I used one exercise I did in the gym which is basically to let the top of the dumbbell rest in my upper hand by holding the inside of it with both hands and then just lifting it straight up behind my head.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    namebia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Arrow Re: Recovery from Shoulder Dislocation

hi buddy,
    Your exercises program is more concentrated on deltiod,pectorals etc.emphasis is not given on ratator cuff.
    if i were you physio,i would start with isometric exercise to Wikipedia reference-linkrotator cuff
    will design self assisted exercises to maintain range,keeping in mind to avoid the combinations of movement having risk of shoulder dslocation in initial phase.
    later i will add more active and resisted strengthening of roator cuff
    -active exercises directed to maintain the shoulder range and shoulder girdle stabilizers strength .
    later add more close kinematic exercises to enhance cocontraction of shoulder muscles

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Mumbai
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Ok. Would it be possible for you to guide me in more detail about these specific exercises or direct me to some online links for the same?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    los angeles
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

if he has shoulder dislocation, you must tell the origin of the cause so that you can have all the details for your answer.

[URL=http://www.alifetimeinsurance.com] Aarp life insurance [/URL]

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Connecticut
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

To Softvision about the pain in the L shape. Exact same issue with mine, i just got my Wikipedia reference-linkmri done yesterday and i'm waiting on the results. What the doctor took a guess at was that it's a Bankart Lesion or a tear in the labrum which is the muscle that connects to the bone. From what i hear the only way to go about permanently fixing this is surgery. I've opened my eyes too it as well. Now i just need to win the lotto.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I've been recovering from a similar dislocation and my pain has decreased substantially. I too have been following a dumbbell routine as per doctor's orders, but I'm eager to get back to my regular gym training. However, my physio suggested I keep on the at home dumbbell routines and gradually increase the weights. My initial recovery also called for 2 lb weights and I've since moved to 4 lbs. If anyone is looking for a good set of dumbbell's try these from Queralto: Chrome Dumbbells - Queraltó. They're well priced and are good for home-use until we're able to get back to our normal exercise routines. Good luck recovering!!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Spain
    Current Location
    barcelona
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

My mother has recovered from a spinal injury, was a couple of weeks in silla de ruedas but slowly and rehabilitation went ahead, it is quite hard.