Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Ankle Rehab ( ROM )

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi everyone,

I broke my fibula and dislocated my ankle about 9 months ago. Tore ligaments in the process. I underwent ORIF on the ankle and then had the screws removed ( 2-3 months ago ). Since then i can walk fine ( with shoes ) and without shoes i feel a little pain. I was just released from therapy and was told to continue on my own. How do you get back all your range of movement ? I'm still missing a lot of movement in "dorsiflexion" sorry if that's not the correct word - when i bring my foot upwards. What exercises can i do on my own to bring my ankle back to normal ?

Thanks!

p.s. i'm sure there's more info you guys need to give me good feedback... if i missed any details you'd need let me know - thanks again for ur time.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    EU
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Ankle Rehab ( ROM )

Quote Originally Posted by broken101 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I broke my fibula and dislocated my ankle about 9 months ago. Tore ligaments in the process. I underwent ORIF on the ankle and then had the screws removed ( 2-3 months ago ). Since then i can walk fine ( with shoes ) and without shoes i feel a little pain. I was just released from therapy and was told to continue on my own. How do you get back all your range of movement ? I'm still missing a lot of movement in "dorsiflexion" sorry if that's not the correct word - when i bring my foot upwards. What exercises can i do on my own to bring my ankle back to normal ?

Thanks!

p.s. i'm sure there's more info you guys need to give me good feedback... if i missed any details you'd need let me know - thanks again for ur time.
    Hi,

Whomever you see, ask them if they know the difference between flexibility and mobility.

Hint: Flexibility refers to the length of muscle/tendon, while Mobility refers to the available movement/Range of motion at the particular joint.

These 2 things must be considered for your condition

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thanks for the reply Canuck. Only one problem, I was already discharged from the therapy. The only mention i heard to anything similar to those two was mention that from being immobilized my achilles tendon might have shrunk and stretching would get it back to where it would need to be. I see my ortho in about a month. Is there any way i can find out on my own what my limitations are in flexibility/mobility ?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    EU
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by broken101 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Canuck. Only one problem, I was already discharged from the therapy. The only mention i heard to anything similar to those two was mention that from being immobilized my achilles tendon might have shrunk and stretching would get it back to where it would need to be. I see my ortho in about a month. Is there any way i can find out on my own what my limitations are in flexibility/mobility ?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
    Hi, traditional stretching will not immediately solve this problem. This cookie cutter approach may help to a certain extent, but not resolve the problem fully.

A quick check?
    Place your foot (toe) against a wall. Foot flat, other legs foot backward. Hands against wall. See if you can touch knee to wall.
    Compare to other side.

Regards

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

You've actually echo'd what i felt naturally. I didn't buy the stretching to be a magic bullet. I did the test and the difference between the two feet is pretty drastic - the bad ankle won't let me get to within 3 inches of the wall. Do you know of any good literature i can get a hold of to walk me through exercises/stretches on my own ?

thanks for your help!