Current Location
    Branson
    Member Type
    Nurse
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

osteoarthritis

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Diagnosed 3 months ago with stage 3 osteoarthritis, left knee was scoped due to extensive damage. Returned to nursing 2 weeks ago where I work 12 hour shifts on a busy floor. Pain is not started to increase. Orthopedist told me can get injections to help but, have not discussed the increase in pain with him yet. My concern is that I may not be able to keep working in this capacity. Anyone have any experience with people with OA working on their feet all day?

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Canberra, ACT, AUSTRALIA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: osteoarthritis

dhammond3

Osteoarthritis responds well to exercise and there is good evidence that exercise improves function so you can do more with less pain. In fact exercise not only keeps you managing your daily activty better but it may even have some positive effects on the disease process, slowing down the rate of degeneration and improving the health of the locomotor system.

Patients often respond well to exercise and it is way too under-prescribed. A balanced exercise programme should include progressive resistance training of the knee muscles and other lower limb muscles. There should be an aerobic exercise component and and muscle imbalances should be addressed.

There is also some evidence that an active programme along with manual therapy to the joints can really help. If you want to see some evidence for such an approach I can send you some links to the literature.

One key thing is keeping your weight at an optimal level. I am not saying if you are carry too much weight but this greatly increases the stress on the knee. People often get into a vicious cycle of curtaining physical activity due to pain and discomfort and therefore burning up less fat.

Given your type of work you should find such a programme would greatly improve your ability to keep on your feet and manage the physical aspects of the job and by the end of the day you would feel much better and more energised anyway. Does your medical insurance cover physical therapy? A PT who has a gym or is connected to a gym would be ideally suited to helping you. It is better to get help with a programme so that joint issues are properly addressed and the programme is more likely to be both safe and successful for you.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    India
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Assistant
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

You can go for Ultrasound physiotherapy, It will give you proper pain relief. This therapy helps to reduce pain. While healing your body’s deep tissue, stress and muscle tightness and backpain can connect back to the root cause of your pain. Ultrasound therapy effects help to soften tissue cell metabolism. It helps to increase blood flow, it makes the cells more receptive to healing fluids. Ultrasound US111 is the modern device which help to release ‘Endorphins’ which is natural healing chemical released by body to heal pain. US111 therapy uses the natural approach without any side effects. For better results and improvement and it is easy to carry anywhere anytime. US111 will give you best results at home you should try out and check the best features of US111 :-https://ultracarepro.in/product/us-1...le-ultrasound/

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Southern California
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

What would be my next step?

Ortho diagnosed OA with only an x ray which I questioned because there is a considerable gap between bones. Doctor says there is no need for an MRI but I have had a sharp pin point pain when touched at the top/lateral side of the patella for 30+ years. I have dealt with this because it always seemed to go away and come back now and then. Now it just stays with me. I have been in the gym three days a week for most of my 68yrs and after a leg workout, squats, presses, extensions, curls etc. I have a pain free time for a day, then the stiffness comes back, the sharp lateral pain comes back etc.
    After sitting I stand and appear crippled from the stiffness but after lying down in bed if I get up there is none of that, leg glides, no pain.
    I was thinking of going for Physical Therapy just to get a more hands on view of my condition and possibly a better analysis.
    What would you suggest ?

Thanks,