Hello all,

4 weeks ago from today I tripped on stairs and fractured my ankle- NONDISPLACED lateral malleolus fracture- the day I did it I went to the ER and they took xrays and put a splint on me for a few days so the swelling would go down. I went and saw and Orthopedic Doctor that day and he told me to come back in 3 days to get a hard cast put on. I went back and got the hard cast put on and it was left on for 3 weeks. Last friday (Apr 13) I got it removed and got another xray. The Orthopedic Doctor told me that it is healing good and told me to wear a Walking Boot for a month and do at home exercises with my foot and then come back in to see him and get another xray.

Well here is where I need your help....I have the walking boot and have been trying since I got my cast off 5 days ago to walk with the walking boot....but I just cant seem to! I dont know if its mental or what but it hurts a little when I try to. I have been using crutches and trying to put some pressure on it which is fine, but when I try and just use one crutch and put weight on it it hurts and to me it feels like the bone is just going to crack.....is this possible after 4 weeks for it to break again while walking in the boot? or is it all in my head? I want to do it so so badly but just cant seem to. The only exercise I have been able to do since the hard cast came off is move my foot up and down, I am too scared to rotate my ankle in a circular motion =/ is there any other type of exercises you would reccomend for at home? And back to the boot....what is the easiest and least painful way to do this? Does it usually take a week or 2 to be able to walk with the boot alone and no crutches? Or am I just being a baby? My mom thinks I should be able to and is getting frustrated with me and thinks I am a baby for not being able to walk on it completely without crutches....I tell her she doesnt know how it feels. Is it normal for it to hurt the first week or so? I put a sock on and the boot itself is not uncomfortable, its my actual ankle area where I fractured it...I can like feel the bone aching when I put weight on it and in my mind I feel like I will make it worse by walking, but then again the Doctor said its healing nicely and I can put all my weight on it.

Any suggestions or advice?