newcastle england
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Question L4/5 herniation

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    This is my first post and a cry for help really.

I underwent an emergency discectomy(L4/5) decompression and removal of fragment in late March this year following a fall. Immediately following surgery i recovered my leg raise ability and a slight improvement in the extent of foot drop. The Wikipedia reference-linkMRI had also shown a prolapse at L5/S1.

I had an assessment from the hospital physio and released on crutches, and with a 'foot up' aid, 48 hours later. I have been seeing a physio regularly (not NHS) since 1 week post surgery.

Following reasonable progress things went backwards around early June. My physios thought it was due to the level of muscle spasm (massive and chronic since the op). However a contrast MRI, done as my consultant suspected scar tissue around the nerve, actually found that my disc had reherniated at the site of operation. Last week I had an L5 nerve root injection.

The improvement in foot drop made since the op has been maintained (although is still relatively poor i think), and my overall pain since the injection has reduced slghtly. However the pain in my buttock/hip/Wikipedia reference-linkSIJ is the same, as is the pain to my lower outside leg. I am totally unable to be on my heels or heelwalk.

Walking in general is difficult, not just because of the pain, but because of the conscious effort i have to make to walk, it does not feel a natural movement for my right leg, and the muscle 'tireness' burn after even a short walk of 10-15 mins.

I am really concerned at the significant loss of muscle to the outerside of my shin bone, and the loss of muscle in my outer front thigh - sorry for the lack of technical descriptors - please ask if I'm not making it clear.

I have been off work since the accident and am in limbo as to whether i should be consdering returning at this stage. I work full time, office based.

Prior to the accident I was a very active person spending about 6-8 hours at the gym/fitness classes each week, walking my dog miles each day, running, cycling etc. None of that is possible currently obviously but i am getting very down about the possiblility they may never be again. I know i am 43 but i don't want to give up just yet!!

Any thoughts, advice, things i can speak to my physio about etc would be appreciated........

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    newcastle england
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: L4/5 herniation

I just wanted to say thank you to all those who read my original post. Things have moved on since then, thanks in large part to the dediction of my physios. One major factor in improving my walking abllity has been the introduction of my wearing a SI joint support belt (Serola) which has significantly reduced the ache in my hips. I definitely feel more secure and confident in movement. Sitting is still problematic but from my experience i would definitely recommend anyone trying this support belt following a spinal injury such as mine.

I am currently in the process of having assessments by the government 'Access to Work' scheme and by the occupational health organisation used by my employer. It looks hopeful I'll be able to return to work on a graduated support programme from early September.

I am more positive and perhaps more realistic about getting back to normal activities.....although i think the gym will have to wait for a long time!!

Regards xx

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    EU
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,

Congratulations on your success thus far.

Hopefully you will be rehabilitated enough that you will no longer require the brace, and will regain the muscle mass and strength necessary to allow you to remain active.

Please continue to post updates

Thanks

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    newcastle england
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Hi,

Firstly Canuck Physio.. thanks for the note of support and encouragement, I will let you know how things progress over time. I am very pleased to say that following an initial assessment through 'Access to Work' i should be getting a wonderful range of ergonomic equipment to help me in my return to work...I'm aiming to start a graduated return programme from early September.

Secondly. thanks to you Choncy84 re the NDS note. I had not heard of it before but have now looked it up on the internet...

"NEURODYNAMIC SOLUTIONS (NDS) focuses on the musculoskeletal integration of neurodynamics and the interactions between mechanics and physiology of the nervous system" ....I have just copied this from web pages regarding the work of Michael Shacklock.

Obviously I am not in any professional position to comment, but I do know that my wearing the SI joint support belt has made a notable improvement in both my pain and movement. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I would be interested if anyone else has any experience of this, either as a professional or patient.

Regards,