Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Pain and tightness

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi there,

I want to get back into running and cycling after a long lay off from tightness on my left side of my back which subsequently creates what a call "a dull ache" down my left leg during after exercise from both these sports. Ironically playing field hockey rarely creates this tightness but running or cycling for more than 10 min at an even but steady pace does. More interestingly when I have no shoes or trainers on my feet the aching and the tightness returns in the leg and it feels like I am ahving to drag the left leg. All these symptoms subside when I perform the classic hamstring stretch lying on my back, straighten my knee and pulling tight on a towel wrapped around the left foot whilst at the same time tilting my head towads my chin to accentuate the stretch. This points to me that there is a nerve issue in the back but I am unsure how to treat this and stop this from happening eveytime I cycle or run.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully recieved

Philip