Flag of United States
    Current Location
    US
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Ultrasound Machine with variable Frequency?

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    I have had a long term case of Achilles tendinitis/tendinosis/tendonopathy, which ever suits you, and have finally been making some definite improvement through ultrasound treatment. (In addition to exercises).

The problem here is that I only receive treatment about once a week due to a high co-pay. My PT mentioned renting one for a short period and I have since been looking for one to order. However it seems that all the machines I've found are either 1Mhz or 3Mhz and nothing in between or beyond. I'm looking for a machine that will run at 3.3Mhz and a low intensity, about 0.7W.

If anyone has any experience/knowledge about ultrasound equipment, or knows a good medical equipment rental company.... I could really use some advice.

Do any ultrasound machines have completely adjustable frequencies or do they just come with maybe 1 or 2? (Besides changing the applicator)

Anyone know where I could rent, or purchase, an ultrasound unit that gets close to 3.3Mhz and 0.7W?

This is day 629 of my healing process and the first time in about a year that I have had any significant progress, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Nigeria
    Current Location
    Kent UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Ultrasound Machine with variable Frequency?

why, is this the setting your therapist uses...?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    US
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Yeah sorry, guess I left that out.
    My PT uses 3.3 Mhz at 0.7W (50% duty)
    Some of my pain is insertional, at the base of the tendon, and is right on the heel bone. I'm assuming thats why he uses the high frequency.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Nigeria
    Current Location
    Kent UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    I feel the reason why your therapist is using that frequency is because he/she is aiming for superficial heating to avoid heating the bone during, and also because your condition is a longterm one...setting at 50% should give safe but adequate pulsed heating.

I dont see why you cannot use a 3MHZ, set at 0.7W, with a shorter pulsed duration (say 20%) but increase the frequency of use in a day...if you are considering safety...

this setting will not give the intense heating you get at the clinic but when used often in a day, the effect can be same....

or just use a 3MHZ, set at 0.5W, set at 50 used for 5minutes? or use 3MHZ, set at a higher intensity (1.2W/cm2) at 20%, used for 1min-2mins,

I dont feel there is a rule that restricts you to the setting you are used to...

the aim would be to avoid heating the bone when treating, and being such a superficial tendon the 3MHZ is ideal...frequency of use in a day, length of time of treatment, intensity, and pulsed setting can be adjusted to increase safety while achieveing safe superficial heating

Discuss with your physiotherapist for a protocol to use this at home...

cheers