Flag of France
    Current Location
    Toronto
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 29, Male, Presenting Problem Since: 1 year, Symptom Behaviour: worsening, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): during the day, Aggravating Factors:: using my arm, especially the fingers, Easing Factors:: proper posture, to an extent, Investigations: x-ray, fMRI, EMG/NCT, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues, Other Info: 20 years of competitive judo with little stretching probably didn't help...

ulnar predicament

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hey everyone,
    I'm resorting to posting a message here, as i'm running out of options...

I've been harassing my GP for a year now, to try and improve my condition, but in spite of all my attempts it's worsening.

I have a number of symptoms that are changing and sometimes a bit contradicting. It all started a year ago with a mild pain in the elbow, near the cubital tunnel. after a few month i decided to see my GP about it. He had x-rays done on the elbow which showed no abnormality, so he sent me to a physiotherapist. I saw the physio and after a few weeks I was better, the pain was gone. On the assumption that muscles had weakened in the area, he had given me strengthening exercises for the elbow.

I started working out normally again (not too intensely though). Shortly after, the pain came back (we're 6 months ago now), stronger, and this time accompanied by pins and needles in the hand (mostly pinky and length-wise half of ring finger). I went back to the physio, and he made me do the same thing, adding exercises for the neck. From there it was downward spiral, the symptoms worsened and the pins and needles spread to the entire hand, along with actual pain (palm and wrist). elbow pain also spread on the other side of the elbow and the shoulder blade (very acute pain there).

After about a month, I decided to stop physio, as it seemed to me the ulnar nerve was badly irritated and working out the muscles around were probably worsening the condition. My GP had me do an Wikipedia reference-linkMRI of the neck and a EMG/NCT. The former showed no bulged disk and the latter no obvious damage to the nerve. Still the pain has kept on worsening... I went for massage therapy, which relieves the symptoms but do not seem to improve the condition over time. I tried yoga in order to stretch, it eventually became too painful. I've stopped any activity other than working at the computer (can't afford to, although i've optimized ergonomics) that could worsen the condition.

Now the pain in the elbow per se rarely flares but the pain/pins and needles in the hand are almost permanent (the hand looks purple-ish with white dots, indicating impaired blood circulation) and the pain in the shoulder blade is intense. neck stretches relieves but also seem to make the pain flare up afterwards. Whenever i move my shoulder, i can hear cracking and rubbing in the shoulder area. i now believe that this is where the problem really is (hence the seemingly cumulated symptoms of carpal and cubital tunnel syndromes). The latest consensus is that extreme tension in my upper back constrict the nerves and creates the observed symptoms. Which would mean nothing's wrong with my arm per se, but rather that it's higher up (yet not at the spine either).

My last hope is that i'm scheduled to see a physiatrist (apparently the MD counterparts of physiotherapists), and that he might prescribe some kind of cervical collar that would help with the symptoms. I put a lot of ice on the affected areas, and was taking a lot of anti-inflammatories for a while but it only provided temporary relief...

Any chance ANYONE has ANY advice for me?!

PS1: i'm also a bass player
    PS2: if you recommend alternative medecine, please provide evidence of proven efficiency, as i've found none so far! (don't mean to be rude but i want to save time, money and avoid false hope...!)