Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Miami
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 48, Male, Presenting Problem Since: 9 months, Symptom Behaviour: getting better, Aggravating Factors:: standing up after sitting, climbing up or down stairs, Easing Factors:: Feels fine during normal activity except when standing from sitting position or going up or down stairs., Investigations: X-ray showed my right patella was shattered into 4 pieces 9 months ago. It is fully healed now, according to more recent x-rays., No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Knee - Anterior - Right

Patella fracture - should I avoid stairs for the rest of my life?

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hello,
    I shattered my right patella into 4 pieces around 9 months ago in a car accident (knee hit the dashboard hard). I did not have surgery because the pieces were only mildly to moderately displaced. Overall, my knee feels pretty good now. It typically doesn't hurt at all unless I am standing up after sitting or climbing up or down stairs. I was recently reading about how stairs can put tremendous force on the patella, up to 5 times your weight. I weigh 180 lbs, so 5 times 180 lbs is 900 lbs of force on my patella!
    I am in the market for a house, and there are both 1 story and 2 story houses available in my area. The idea of putting 900 lbs of force on my patella going up and down stairs numerous times per day does not seem very appealing. The back of my kneecap is definitely not smooth nor in the correct shape due to healing after being displaced. My orthopedic surgeon who oversaw my recovery said that I am at high risk for developing arthritis down the road due to the injury - he said his guess was a 50/50 chance. He had also advised me that getting surgery would not likely reduce my odds of getting arthritis, which is why he advised against doing surgery. I'm afraid I would potentially speed up the development of arthritis if I move into a 2 story house and climb up and down stairs many times per day, so I am considering ruling out buying a 2 story house and only looking at 1 story houses. I would be totally happy in a 1 story house, so I really don't mind. But am I being paranoid? Or do I have a legitimate concern about frequent stair usage over a period of many years potentially speeding up the onset of arthritis?
    Thanks!