Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 37, Female, Presenting Problem Since: 9 months, Symptom Behaviour: Worse, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): Varies, Aggravating Factors:: Impact, walking, Easing Factors:: Not sure!, Investigations: Xray and MRI, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues, Other Info: Previous torn ligaments in ankles approx 18 years ago

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Ankle - Right

Lightbulb MRI results - can anyone help? Is this an OCD?

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi all,

Following my other post regarding ongoing ankle problems and pain after a sprain last December, I have recently had an MRI scan and the key points of the findings are:

1. Focal chondropathy with subchondral microcystic changes to the posterior medial dome/posterior talar process

2. Small volume fluid concerning for mild tenosynovitis along the tibialis posterior and flexor hallucis longus tendon sheath

3. Mild to moderate subacute sprain of lateral ankle ligament complex.

Elsewhere in the report it says focal subchondral microcystic changes at the posterior medial and posterior aspect of the talar dome concerning for occult high-grade overlying chondral fissure.

Can anyone help with what this actually means please?

My physio has said there's nothing to be concerned about, just lots of sprained ligaments and tendons but is referring me to orthopaedics at the hospital.

I am concerned if there is cartilage damage that I am making it worse by continuing to walk lots and be as active as I can (without doing any high impact activities), as per the physios advice.

Thank you so much for any advice!

Similar Threads:

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: MRI results - can anyone help? Is this an OCD?

Basically the results of a grade two lateral ankle sprain which caused a boney injury to the surface if the main ankle bone (talus). What injury did you do? When was it? If it was acute then maybe a short period of time in a boot to stay off the boney surface while it heals could be useful. An ortho opinion on the scans would be appropriate in relation to that condral damage suffice to say it is very common in a hood sprain.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thanks for the reply physiobob, really helpful.

I did it 9, nearly 10 months ago. Fell off a kerb, and rolled the right ankle pretty hard. Heard (and felt!!), a crack at the time. My husband heard it and he was walking a bit in front of me.

I am waiting for the appointment for the orthopaedic to review and advise further. Physio seems to think an arthroscopy may be in order to look further?

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I would tend to agree. They might do a CT first or just go take a look considering it was that long ago.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I have just found out it is a 10 month waiting list until the first orthopaedic appointment!

I am really concerned that this will get worse if it is left too long - Should I be trying to get seen sooner?

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    I would look for a low cost MRI service. There are plenty of private ones where you can maybe get a scan for around £300-£350. Unfortunately the NHS is a longer wait but talk to your GP as they do have access direct into the booking so you can stay on them to try to get something sooner.

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter