Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Doing My Own Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Finally did surgery on my problematic right hand last Saturday, Jan 9th. It's been persistently numb since Christmas, due to all the manual work I've been doing for our new house. I've been having this numbness -- thumb, index finger, long finger, & the thumb-side half of my ring finger -- since 2007; but back then, I only felt it whenever I'd be biking for more than 15 minutes straight. (I ride a mountain bike a lot; here in Cebu, it's how I haul my ass from home to school & back.) The symptoms never persisted beyond that. Until now. So, time to save my right median nerve from utter compressive damnation. (I definitely don't want to end up like my dad, who never had decompressive carpal tunnel surgery until it was too late. He was misdagnosed & mal-advised for his carpal tunnel syndrome problem back in 1999 -- both his hands have atrophied thumb muscles now, no thanks to the idiots who told him that "it's nothing sir, just exercise it regularly to counteract the weakness & the ulnar mono-neuropathy". They could have at least gotten the nerve right. Too bad I became an orthopedic resident 6 years too late!)