Current Location
    Vanuatu
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Help for Vanuatu

Hello all!

I am a 'retired' physio (young!) who is a resident of Vanuatu. My husband and I sail around the islands every year in our sail boat and we assist volunteer medical teams whenever we can.

We've located several handicapped children, who have no hope of treatment the way things stand, and I would love to see a system by which such kids could get at least yearly or twice yearly evaluation and support with home programmes.

There is a physio dept in Port Vila hospital but the two local physios there are struggling with poor/limited equipment and also need more training. They have certificates from the Uni of the South Pacific but are pretty isolated as regards continuing education. The hospital itself is in dire straits financially.

A sort of "Ronald McDonald House" is almost completed in the hospital grounds, which would be great to provide accommodation (and associated garden produce) for visiting families, but the kids and their parents would have to be brought down somehow.

Any suggestions as to what can be done to provide equipment and inservice ed for the physios, and transport costs for needy patients in Vanuatu? I don't have much financial backing and don't know where to start!

Thanks.
    GG

Matrix Level Physio Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Perhaps if they have the internet we could set them up their own section whereby they can post questions and we can provide some guidance or possible education. How does that sound as a start on the CPD side?

aroun2000

Telemedicine will be effective

HI,
    If there is a provision of internet a telemedicine setup will be more helpful.

Regards

aroun

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Vanuatu
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    That sounds great! I do have an email address for one of them -- should I suggest he contact this forum directly?

I'm also trying to raise some money and/or get some equipment donated. Have one lead on that and will see how it pans out. I'd like to get some organisation or individual interested in helping the patients too, on a regular basis, with transport to the hospital. They are subsistence dwellers and most have not the means to travel from their island.

Thanks for your help.

GG

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Vanuatu
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Telemedicine will be effective

I am not sure how telemedicine works. Can you enlighten me, please?

GG

Matrix Level Physio Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Get him/her to email us at [email protected]

Telemedicine is only useful on a high speed line at both ends. We did try it from the UK to Bangladesh. The idea is great but the costs of the lines at both ends right now is prohibiting us offering this service at this time.

It is however a definate service physiobase will offer in the future

Let's start with a Vanuatu Clinic Forum section and see if a two-way communication is of interest to both sides

willinine

Hi

Hi Geriatirc Gypsy,

I'm the physio student from the uk who was working in Port Vila on my elective when you visited the hospital. I have tried to drum up some support to donate equipment since returning but with little help i'm afraid.

I just want to re-iterate what you have already said - they are in need of a lot of help especially with facilities and equipment. The two physios are very keen and willing to learn and develop their skills so any help would be grately appreciated!

I do have both their e-mails if you need them.

Hope you are well

Nick

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Healesville Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Vanuatu Physio Aide

Hi,
    When I was a student in 1987, I accompanied my wife to Port Vila when she worked on an overseas aid abroad program from Australia.
    It does not sound like things have changed much since then! The Hospital was very poorly funded, although visiting volunteer cardiac teams provided important surgical cover. The Hospital was run based upon the English hierarchical nursing system, (Matron etc), however this caused a problem as nurses from different villages did not recognise a hierarchical training system that contradicted their own cultural hierarchy, therefore communication was poor.
    The country existed on aide from overseas, and much of this seemed to be eaten up by red tape.

Vanuatu was run by the Anglophones (English speakers), and the Francophones (French speakers), and the two systems did not mix well. I think it is the other way around now, with the French in charge?

Another interesting element is the paternal nature of the Establishment. Although I was only a spouse of the person providing services (my wife), any monies for developmernt or projects was handed to me, rather than to my wife. The same hierarchy aplied in the Health system.
    Everything occurs on Island time - which is frustrating to a visitor from a busy culture. Previously, the culture of aides and handouts applied, with little local enthusiasm for self determination. Has this changed?
    The hospital had only recently received its first trained therapist (trained in Fiji), and she was related to Vanuatus Prime Minister.
    Without funding and experience, she had a difficult time.

I attempted to help (I had no official capacity, nor had I completed my training - I was on holiday), by having equipment built locally for the disabled children (eg standing chairs etc).

Donation of equipment is ok provided that the locals know how to use and maintain the equipment. Some electronic devices, health & communication, would have to be serviced and used in an environment bto ensure safety. The tropics can be harsh.

Setting up a volunteer program for the training of locals, in exchange for accomodation, with subsidised air fares, could assist in raising competencies. Improvement in self sufficiency would then follow.

Does the Uni of the South Pacific have any outreach programs?
    A specific Forum for this topic is a good idea. Whatever occurs re aide, it needs to be co-ordinated to maintain consistency of assistance, without wasting or duplicating resources.

Providing a cow to starving people where there is no grass for the cow is a recipe for disaster.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Vanuatu
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Hi

Thanks Nick. I wish I could contact you! Tried an email but it didn't work -- no response. My email has been the same for the past several yrs so if you happen to check in here please contact me.
    Cheers.
    Judy

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Vanuatu
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Help for Vanuatu

Thanks all, for suggestions. Any internet technology available in Vanuatu is yet too expensive for access. However at this time (early 2008) there are some exciting new developments. Equipment has been donated and stored for shipping (which has also been donated) and there are other developments which look promising to help the hospitals in Vanuatu.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi, I am a physiotherapist looking at volunteering overseas for a short period. Would it be possible if you provided me with the email address of one of the physiotherapists working in the hospital as I would love to help out thanks.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Vanuatu
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by Brita27 View Post
    Hi, I am a physiotherapist looking at volunteering overseas for a short period. Would it be possible if you provided me with the email address of one of the physiotherapists working in the hospital as I would love to help out thanks.
    Hello. I am sure you would enjoy an experience like this, and so would the folk in Vanuatu. I'll give you the email address for Margit O'Callaghan, who is able to give you more information about this now. She works from the University of Queensland in Australia, and is familiar with the efforts to coordinate clinical help in the hospital at Port Vila. All the best!
    Margit O'Callaghan <[email protected]>

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi thanks so much for your reply. I have tried to contact Margit however have not heard back. Would there be any other contact details that I could get her on? or anyone else that I can contact? thanks again

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Vanuatu
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by Brita27 View Post
    Hi thanks so much for your reply. I have tried to contact Margit however have not heard back. Would there be any other contact details that I could get her on? or anyone else that I can contact? thanks again
    Hi Brita,
    I do have two other contacts -- why don't you email me at [email protected] and I can give them to you privately? Thanks,
    Judy