Flag of England
    Current Location
    Essex
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Rugby Union without an ACL

A rugby player of mine was sent via his private medical insurance to have an Wikipedia reference-linkMRI on his ACL. This confirmed it was torn. He now has the choice of ACL repair or conservative treatment. Currently, he has seen a physiotherapist with the insurance company but hasn't yet had his appointment with a Consultant.

He is keen to return to playing rugby union and would like to know if it would be possible to be able to play again without an ACL repair?

While I have my own views on this I was wondering what your opinions are?

Thanks,

Alex

Similar Threads:

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Rugby Union without an ACL

I would say that he should not return to rugby before a reconstruction is done and also a lot of post op rehabilitation. It is the side to side nature of movement in rugby that needs the ACL and he would be prone to dislocation and probably meniscal tearing if this were to happen. And no one wants that. So in my opinion there is no option of conservative management if the end goal is to play rugby.

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of England
    Current Location
    Essex
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thanks for your reply Physiobob.

I to was of the opinion that if he wants to return to rugby particularly at the same level as previously then an ACL reconstruction would offer him the best chance.

He was told some of the All Blacks play without an ACL I don't know if this is the case or not but to compare an elite athlete's position with that of an amateur doesn't work anyway.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Romania
    Current Location
    Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by alleex View Post
    Thanks for your reply Physiobob.

I to was of the opinion that if he wants to return to rugby particularly at the same level as previously then an ACL reconstruction would offer him the best chance.

He was told some of the All Blacks play without an ACL I don't know if this is the case or not but to compare an elite athlete's position with that of an amateur doesn't work anyway.
    I think either with the empowered muscle you cannot play rugby without ACL, not even for the All Blacks. Imagine that professional rugby players get more shock on the tackles, and more stress due to their training and so on. Maybe they play with a partial tear of ACL, but definitely not without it. ACL it's very important in flexed knee position (it is designed to stop the joint to be dislocated in the anterior way when the knee its flexed, also contributes to stabilize the shear movement)meaning that, every jump or bend could result in disaster, or even at every tackle around knee area. As a ex-rugby player I know you much you love to play the game, but that's the reason why he should be careful with his health so that he could play longer. Regards.

Carrie Smith Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Kemptville, Ontario, Canada
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Taping
    Hi all,
    I work with the Canadian men's rugby team and we had a player with a complete tear who had SX and was back and playing at the World Cup in 4 months. Pretty quick return but he was in great shape prior to surgery. Hope that helps!