Current Location
    Leeds, England
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Ruptured Ankle Ligament

Hi Guys, thanks for reading.

I play rugby league and ruptured my ligament in my ankle 3 months ago at the beginning of our season. It's been fine to walk/run and everything, however I played my first 80 minute game yesterday and it's absolutely killing. It's ballooned back up and there is some bruising (not much, nowhere near the amount of when I ruptured it) and gone really stiff. I just want to know if there is anything I can do when I play to help avoid it reacting like this, I already wear an ankle protector/support, just any tips or tricks that you might know of. I know I should stop playing for a couple more months and I'm at more of a chance of being out for longer if I don't rest it etc etc, but that's never been my 'style'. I broke 2 ribs and was back playing 2 weeks after, albeit I was in a LOT of pain ha, but I hate it so much being stuck inside or on the touchline on Saturday/Sunday mornings. I also play at a pretty high standard, so the longer I'm out the more chance I have of not being named in the team next season.

Cheers, Danny

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Italy
    Current Location
    United Kingdom
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Ruptured Ankle Ligament

Hi,
    did you do something (rehabilitation, exercises.....) to care your ankle the days after the injury?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Leeds, England
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi

I did for roughly two months I think, then I got signed off by the club physio with a leaflet that included exercises I should have done at home, but I didn't carry on with them, so I haven't done any rehabilitation exercises for a while.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    berks
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hey,

I would recommend seeing your club physio and asking their opinion. It is always difficult in a club setting because there is limited time to treat and there are often time restraints and pressure to return to sport. If they are unable to provide you with a detailed rehab program then consider visiting your GP for an NHS referral or funding a few sessions privately. Any serious ankle sprain or ligament requires extensive rehabilitation to prepare the muscles and soft tissue to return to sport. I would recommend that if you want to return to high level sport you need to really commit to getting this sorted and that involves completing a home exercise program religiously every day 1-2 times daily and being guided by your physio on when you are ready to progress. A support is certainly something that I would recommend and a physio will be able to tell you the best one (you have not mentioned which ligament was ruptured so it is difficult to suggest one that may be relevant- the mueller ankle support is a good general allround support). Ankles are always a bit tricky and require a lot of strengthening, proprioceptive and sometimes flexibility exercises. If you work hard with the rehab they generally do well.

Hope this has helped

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Italy
    Current Location
    United Kingdom
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,

sorry I'm late :-(.

I completely agree with what Nicole wrote.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Los Angeles,
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by Squire1994 View Post

I play rugby league and ruptured my ligament in my ankle 3 months ago at the beginning of our season. It's been fine to walk/run and everything, however I played my first 80 minute game yesterday and it's absolutely killing. It's ballooned back up and there is some bruising (not much, nowhere near the amount of when I ruptured it) and gone really stiff. I just want to know if there is anything I can do when I play to help avoid it reacting like this, I already wear an ankle protector/support, just any tips or tricks that you might know of. I know I should stop playing for a couple more months and I'm at more of a chance of being out for longer if I don't rest it etc etc, but that's never been my 'style'. I broke 2 ribs and was back playing 2 weeks after, albeit I was in a LOT of pain ha, but I hate it so much being stuck inside or on the touchline on Saturday/Sunday mornings. I also play at a pretty high standard, so the longer I'm out the more chance I have of not being named in the team next season.

Cheers, Danny
    Hi there,

Your recovery time really depends on how bad the sprain is.

Believe it or not for such a simple problem patience is required. It is always important to employ rehabilitation and strengthening. Full recovery will probably take two-three months and could take longer and of course it depends on the Grade of the sprain. The greatest danger is a reoccurrence.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    California
    Member Type
    Social Worker
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

It really depends on how bad the injury is. You should start off with icing and go and seek some professional advice to get the appropriate treatment.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of England
    Current Location
    Nottingham
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Danny

Unfortunatly I have heard many cases like yours as I work for 2 rugby clubs! Most of the guys play at a decent standard and when they develop an injury i give them treatment and advice, however some are so committed to the club that they are back playing the next week when i have advised them to rest. Consequently, some of the injured players have not reached their potential as they keep playing on an injuy which is not 100% resolved. What make the best players stand out is their willingness to listen and take the physios advice when it comes to injuries. I appreciate it is difficult to watch from the side lines, but if you want to improve then rehabilitation is the only way. If not then the ankle will never improve in strength, pain level or flexibility.

Correct physio management and rehabilitation will be of great benefit in the long term, even if it does mean missing a few matches in the short term.

Hope this helps

Kate

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Malta
    Current Location
    Malta
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I know that the most common injured ligament is the anterior talofibular ligament. But one red flag which pops in my mind when a patient still present with pain and swelling after 6 weeks of treatment, is other injuries that might have been misdiagnosed as a normal ankle sprain such as a resultant peroneal subluxation or tendonitis...etc etc.. so it's important to be re-examined and evaluated again.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Ireland
    Current Location
    ireland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

See a decent physio. Do a decent rehab programme. If you and your therapist are happy you have addressed all that can be addressed from that side of things and you still have problems you may need to have an orthopaedic assessment with an experienced foot and ankle radiologist analysing your images.

I work with high levels sportspeople and I always get ankles/feet checked out if they aren't responding at 6-8 weeks of treatment. It could be a case of something less common but very troublesome like ruptured interosseous or bifurcate ligaments of the foot or indeed a peroneal tendon problem eg "splitting" etc.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Teesside
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi

It does not really matter if you have ruptured a lateral ankle ligament. What matters for this season is If your ankle is functionally stable or not. Did you go over on the ankle again in your first game back or did it just become painfull/swollen with no further trauma? Sounds like you didn't have enough rehab after the initial injury which should probably have been closer to 3 months especially as there would have likely been a moderate or large subchondral contusion (bone bruising) which needs to be treated with a good few weeks rest before any impact training is considered. If after 3 months of progressive rehab your ankle is still swelling you will probably need an MRI scan to check the integrity of the ligaments and for any chondral defects etc.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    alaska
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by Squire1994 View Post

Cheers, Danny
    If your injury is so bad then you should go for physical rehabilitation. It is very helpful for those who just need to remodel the ligaments of the ankle.There are many physical rehabilitation center like Abate Injury Rehab in Dallas.They are known for their best and efficient physiotherapist.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

The fact the ankle has reacted violently to playing rugby is significant. Something is obviously wrong - that may be inadequate rehab or you may have coincidentally suffered another injury to the ankle during the match.

If you have ruptured a ligament then conservative rehab has to be pretty intensive - and ongoing. It doesn't sound like this has been the case.

Your risk of re-injury is higher and the risk of secondary complications such as chronic ankle instability and osteochondral damage also increases.

I'd suggest an orthopaedic review as surgery may be your best option (depending on other factors such as your own personal circumstances)

From your story it sounds like your injury risk is unacceptably high and requires urgent reassessment

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Singapore
    Current Location
    NEW YORK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Ligaments of the ankle is problem occur many times when feel pain after rotating your ankle. You can get more information about from here. Ligaments of The Ankle | Types, Symptoms & Recovery Time (2019)

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Mumbai
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Taping
    Hi Squire,
    A sprained ankle means one or more ligaments on the outer side of your ankle were stretched or torn. If it is not treated properly, you could have long-term problems.
    What are the risk factors for an ankle sprain?
    1. Heel Posture
    2. past History
    What are the treatments for ankle sprain?
    1. Home Treatment
    2. Conservative Treatment
    3. Surgery