Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Thoracic Spine

Weak back muscles

Hello.
    Sorry for my english in advance. I'll try my best.

Short bio: 23 years old, male, 90kg, 175cm tall, sitting lifestyle, visiting gym 2d/week.

Traumas in past: compression fracture of L4. No surgery. Successfully healed, restoration period of 4 months (in bed), then was doing physical therapy for a couple moths, but it seems i've missed something. No other major traumas and surgeries.

Life prior to the trauma: sporty, martial arts, healthy, no issues

Symptoms: really weak muscles in the middle of the back. More specifically, if you imagine a belt just below the nipples line, this will be the entire group of muscles that feels weak. They all kinda "numb" (from tiredness) after i remain vertical (or sit without hands AND back support) for about 10-15 minutes. Walking makes them tire faster.
    They are getting so tired that i'm starting to sweat (as you sweat when you do hard physical work) with my entire body really quickly.
    Living like that for roughly 5 years already. Still not restored. Really annoying. Any physical activity (literally anything BUT sitting or laying) is really really hard to me. Always sweat because of that.

Life now: a bit of excess weight (not overweight, i have quite some muscles), osteochondrosis, sitting lifestyle, sitting work, visiting gym 2 days a week (both days: ~30% of time anaerobic exercises, ~70% of time aerobic exercises), eating healthy (trying to exclude all fried food and fast food), trying to eat at least 2500 kcal a day with 100% protein/fat/carb, food is mostly protein rich, fats and carbs are mostly healthy (meat, grains, etc).

Questions:
    - What are these muscles (names if you could)?
    - Why they don't restore by themselves due to overwhelming strain every day?
    - How do i train these muscles?

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Thiruvananthapuram,Kerala
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Weak back muscles

Needs a detailed clinical examination before coming to a final solution regarding physical therapy. Consult an expert physical therapist doing manual postural alignment to the spine

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Texas
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

You should visit a spine doctor for thorough diagnosis. Only can provide you the correct analysis of your condition.

OrthoTexas

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Toronto
    Member Type
    Social Worker
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I agree with mathewvarghese and toddchaney. You need to get that looked at first. Manual postural alignment or chiropractic manual adjustment is the best option in my op. To ensure that excessive loading is causing the pain, try swimming when your pain is at it’s peak. If you’re pain is relieved, it means that your spine is taking a lot of stress. If you are anywhere i Canada, I'd recommend sports clinics like LifeMark or better, AESM in Toronto.

I didn’t understand your second question though- “ Why they don't restore by themselves due to overwhelming strain every day?”. Can you explain?

Last edited by mattspeax; 03-08-2015 at 12:49 AM. Reason: spelling error

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Even my advice would be to go for an expert physiotherapy treatment. One of my friend was also going through the same problem. He was experiencing pain, numbness and/or muscle weakness as a result of a car accident. With someone's suggestion he did one of the physiotherapy treatments from Mississauga(Physio Now). Maybe doing massage therapy from any registered physio clinic can help you to get rid of this trouble.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Canada
    Member Type
    Other Allied Health Care Worker
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I agree that massage therapy is a good idea. I'm a big advocate of anything that promotes blood flow to the injured area (ie. massage therapy, BFST, ultrasound, etc.). Majority of my pain and stiffness lie in my lower back. I have scoliosis, which unfortunately is only corrected by surgery (which i'm not willing to do at this point). However, to keep the pain at bay without using medication, I use either a cold compress or a wrap called the BFST. After i do any exercises that cause a tweak in my back, I put a cold compress on it. Cold is by far the number one best natural remedy for pain! On days where I am not active (no chance of inflammation) and my lower back gets stiff and sore from tight muscles/ligaments etc., i use the BFST (blood flow stimulation therapy). This is a natural way to stimulate more blood flow to the targeted area. In most cases it will help heal any soft tissue damage (via the nutrients and oxygen the blood carries). It has done wonders for me and allows me to be med free Back Pain Treatment

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    New Jersey
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

In my opinion You should go for non-surgical orthopedics in order to manage your back pains.
    As the medical fields continue to promote the benefits of exercise and healthy eating habits, both the young and old are becoming more active. Because of this, overuse and injuries to the bones, joints and muscles occurs, especially in baby boomers. Some of the most common conditions that require eventual treatment are those caused by degenerative joint disease, osteoarthritis, and arthritis and these problems are studied by the medical specialty field of Orthopedics or Orthopaedics. Orthopedics has become one of the most sought after medical field by people who want a better quality of life.. What is Orthopedics or Orthopaedics? It is the study of the musculoskeletal system which involves the bones, joints, ligaments and tendons, muscles and nerves. Orthopedic doctors (also known as Orthopedists or Orthopeds) specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal system problems under the associated medical fields of Orthopedics or Orthopaedics. The training for orthopedists is intense with undergraduate, medical school, residency, subspecialty work and often research.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Ajman
    Current Location
    astraen
    Member Type
    Chiropractor
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I have sung the praises of sauna use for many years and have been able to convert many of my friends and colleagues into frequent users – some have even installed their own saunas. As a sauna aficionado, I am often the person they come to for advice. “rick willianen, how do I ensure my sauna lasts?” is one frequent inquiry my friends pose to me.
    I am quick to tell them that regular and routine maintenance is important to ensure the investment one makes in building a sauna is a long-term one. Just like a car, your home, or any other costly purchase, adhering to regular maintenance schedules is important to a saunas’ longevity.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Macao
    Current Location
    japan
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

he Chicago Blackhawks used to be one of the worst teams in the NHL. In fact, in the early 2000’s the team was so poorly ranked that tickets to games had to be given away just to get an audience in the United Centre. However, a lot has changed in just a short decade, Rick Willianen.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Ramundi
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I REALLY recommend Yoga as a gentle way to strengthen those back muscles while also increasing your flexibility and mobility. Poses like marjaryasana, utkatasana, setu bandha sarvangasana, padangusthasana, and bharadvajasana I are all excellent for back strength and mobility. Good luck and remember to consult a professional on these matters!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Florida
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Agreed on the blood flow and cold compress therapy - the in and out flow of fluids are best for healing and pain relief. Ultrasound is great - there are good home use units such as Sonic Relief that allow patients to administer ultrasound as soon as they need it and frequently. Alternate it with cold a few times per day to get the fluids flowing.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Ramundi
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

When I got injured in a hockey accident last year, I couldn't work for months. Luckily I had a pretty good personal injury lawyer who got me compensation so I could afford physiotherapy or else I'd probably still be laying in bed.

bestfishfinder84

all in all i must really applaud the level of detail shared, Best Fish Finder. This way i truly got acquainted to the need of help all around. thanks.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    ontario
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Taping
    You need to get a detailed medical examination as soon as possible. In an early age like yours, weakening of muscles should be considered as a serious issue. Yoga and massage therapy can be included in your daily routine as this is helpful in easing pain and calming the affected muscles. You can include gooseberries and liquid food in your diet as it helps tightening the weak muscles. I had a similar but different condition in my younger days and maintaining a healthier diet helped a lot. Hope you find this helpful.