Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on an issue I've had for a few years now that predominately shows up whilst exercising, in particular squatting/deadlift type exercises.

I generally get a very stiff/"pumped" feeling in my lower back which can be quite uncomfortable, but I have done a ton of research on this on how to combat it so it is not debilitating, and to make sure my form is correct.

However, one thing that I continue to have problems with is a sharp pain that shoots up my lower back only on the right side, about midway between my spine and my side. It's not the dull pain that a back pump gives me, it's a very sharp twanging and starts after I start doing these kind of exercises, then goes away after I stop after about half an hour. Thankfully doesn't follow me into my day to day life, but either way it is frustrating when I am trying to exercise as I end up lowering my weight/reps to the point where I'm not getting any benefit, and I am worried that every time I am exercising I could be doing longer term damage.

I can likely pinpoint when it started - a few years ago I hired a personal trainer who was a bit of a militant and threw me in the deep end starting on lifting weights so heavy I had no business lifting for someone who was very light/just starting out at the time.

In particular, I remember doing dumbbell side bends, and within a few weeks of doing them, he had me using 30KG (66lbs) dumbbells. At the time that was almost half my bodyweight! That was when I first experienced it and am convinced that's when the injury occurred. I remember telling him I was in pain and not the "feel the burn" good type but he just shouted at me to squeeze out a few more whenever I did (I wish I had more conviction to tell him no, but hindsight is 20/20)

Any advice would be most welcome on what it could be and how to help with it. I feel I might need to see a professional as it has been an issue for so long, but figured I would ask here first.

Thank you!