Current Location
    Leeds, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Student physiotherapist placement in Canada for UK student

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    I am a Canadian citizen, doing my MSc Physiotherapy in the U.K.

I am trying to arrange a 5 week placement in Canada (Vancouver), and have secured a private clinic that will take me on. However, I need to get my own professional liability insurance and seem to be running into a barrier. Trisura says that I need to be registered with a Canadian College of Physiotherapists to be eligible. When I contact the College in BC, they say that I can only get an application by applying for a placement through UBC, and that UBC will give me the application. However, to go through UBC, I have to provide them with tons of paperwork, pay them $300, and they MAY get me a placement in 1 of 4 locations they provide for international students. Also, they won't tell me if I have a placement or not until 1 or 2 months before the placement starts, leaving me very little time to secure another.

All in all, I really would like to complete the placement I have arranged with the clinic and not be forced to go through UBC, but I need a way to get insurance. Does anyone have a suggestion?