Current Location
    Perth
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Registration Changes for Physiotherapists: NZ

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    As of 1st September 2009, The Physiotherapy Board of New Zealand will be introducing a new application format for overseas qualified physiotherapists.

While the application is still centered around providing evidence that you meet a number of predefined competencies, these competencies have now been revised and refined.

Further to this, the board has prepared a one page template for each of the new competencies, which should guide the applicant and streamline the process. Templates have also been prepared for the additional supporting documentation including work history validation, confirmation of fitness to practise and a structured CV.

A new application fee of NZ$1200 will also come into affect on 1st September 2009. Should you be interested in discussing registration processes and employment opportunities in either Australia or New Zealand, please contact Clare Claridge by either calling our freecall number or submitting an enquiry on the Contact Us page.

Similar Threads:
    Global Health Source
    [URL="http://www.globalhealth.com.au"]http://www.globalhealth.com.au[/URL]
    Jobs for Physiotherapists in Australia or New Zealand

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Slovenia
    Current Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Smile Re: Registration Changes for Physiotherapists: NZ

Does anyone know the following: is it sufficient if you're a PT from EU who has finished a 3yr programme (1230h of lectures, 1375h of practice, 20h of seminars) + thesis, following a 9-month post-graduate apprenticeship?

Besides having 1yr experience, does student work (PT assistant) cout as well?

Thank you all for your answers and good luck with your jobs and registrations ,

S

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Registration Changes for Physiotherapists: NZ

Hi sunnysu, i have been in contact with the NZ physio board and i must say they were not particularly helpful!! i have been unfortunate as although they received my application prior to the new deadline they have sent it back to me as at the time the statatory declartion was made i had 11 months FT post grad physio experience despite my validation of work history being validated for the full 12 months. they are very particular and if you do not meet the criteria at the time the declaration is sign they will send it back regardless.

to answer your question......

I was told that the only experience they would accept is a full time post held as a physiotherapist with experience of 12 months. so i dont think physio assistant posts would count.... i would stil recommend calling then though i have downloaded and installed skype and this is my primary form of communication with them and the rates are very cheap... 12p per minute highly recommended

I have now had to start compiling the portfolio with the new competencies and templates... if anyone can help with this it would be much appreciated
    I will be calling the physio board in NZ this evening to clarify some questions that i have i will post the answers when i have them.

Q1 how to use the template... can we include a summary to cover the subsections of each of the competencies similar to the old format and use the templates to refer to the summary aswell as course syllabus and post grad experience etc.

Q2How long will the new application process take

will also come up with some more questions and will also post any relevant information i get

thanks all
    Chris

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

with the NZ physio board and i must say they were not particularly helpful!!
    You probably mean that they were helpful, but wouldn't tweak their rules for you....

Sorry, I don't think that anyone can help you guys, because -obviously- you are some of the first people going through the new process. However, it will be very helpful to learn later how you got on with it all.

The entry criteria have not changed: In NZ, Physios graduate with a 4 year BSc and you will have to show that your Physio programme is at equal standards. The British BSc is accepted, but since their programme is only 3 years long, you will have to prove that you have worked full-time as a Physiotherapist for at least 12 months (to make up for the missing year).
    I don't know, what the programme for EU Physio is like. If you have done a BSc, then the same rules apply. Have you graduated with a diploma, then this will not be accepted.

The job of a Physio Assistant is not accepted, as it isn't Physiotherapy.

Good luck to all of you.

Regards,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Slovenia
    Current Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thanks guys! I hope some UK short courses I'm about to take on should count too , additional to 1yr experience.

Good luck to all and thanks again!

S

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Actually no, what i mean is that they were not particulary helpful and that they have continued to be less than helpful with the new format of the application process. All i can get out of them when requesting advice is that the new system is "New to us too so you have to do what you think is right and the senior physiotherapists at the board will assess the application"
    Anyway I have compiled the application with the new templates and this is what I have done.....

Example of Cresp template 1

Section 1
    Document supplied Location / Page Number
    Academic course syllabus:-
    • Cardiorespiratory Page 2+3 C Resp Definitive Module Document
    • Movement studies Page 1 Movt Stud Definitive Module Document
    • Neurosciences 1 Page 2+3 NS 1 Definitive Module Document
    • Neurosciences 2 Page 3 NS 2 Definitive Module Document
    • Advancing Practice Page 2 AP Definitive Module Document

Clinical placement Level 3 Clinical placement assessment: Respiratory (Grade A3)

Section 2
    Validation of work history Validation of work history – Supplied by Regitse Lewis

CV Personal statement

Section 3

Reflective proforma Appendix 4

Appendix 5

Covering letter from Appendix 6
    Regitse Lewis COPD Matron

Hope this is of some help and I will let you know how i get on with the application once i hear back from the board!

Chris

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by kempo1981 View Post
    Hi sunnysu, i have been in contact with the NZ physio board and i must say they were not particularly helpful!! i have been unfortunate as although they received my application prior to the new deadline they have sent it back to me as at the time the statatory declartion was made i had 11 months FT post grad physio experience despite my validation of work history being validated for the full 12 months. they are very particular and if you do not meet the criteria at the time the declaration is sign they will send it back regardless.

to answer your question......

I was told that the only experience they would accept is a full time post held as a physiotherapist with experience of 12 months. so i dont think physio assistant posts would count.... i would stil recommend calling then though i have downloaded and installed skype and this is my primary form of communication with them and the rates are very cheap... 12p per minute highly recommended

I have now had to start compiling the portfolio with the new competencies and templates... if anyone can help with this it would be much appreciated
    I will be calling the physio board in NZ this evening to clarify some questions that i have i will post the answers when i have them.

Q1 how to use the template... can we include a summary to cover the subsections of each of the competencies similar to the old format and use the templates to refer to the summary aswell as course syllabus and post grad experience etc.

Q2How long will the new application process take

will also come up with some more questions and will also post any relevant information i get

thanks all
    Chris
    Chris

I just completed the new competencies. Let me know how I can help. I have actually used my own templates. Found theirs bit too small and a nightmare to use. I figured as long as it is clear and easy to use.

The turnover for the application is the same, 9 to 12 weeks.

I have been in contact with the board on the daily basis. Pretty clued up if you have any other questions.

Bea

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi there, Thanks for your response....

I have also completed the application process but managed to use the templates provided except the reflective proformas I designed and used my own proforma sheets for reflective practice. I was under the impression that we had to use their templates but the nly exception being the reflective proformas???

Have you now sent off your application and are you already in NZ??

I have sent my application in and I have received a letter of confirmation am now just waiting for them to process it all.
    I am also in NZ now and am currently setting up my own massage business as a sole trader which will hopefully bring in the same cash flow (Per Hour) and once I have my regisration I will change over the business to include a pysiotherapy service which my current client base can utilise and spread the word so to speak.

If you need any help or advice when you get here or prior to your arrival feel free to contact me. If interested let me know and put your e-mail up ill get in touch with you through that.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    southampton
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hiya, wondered if i could ask whether have you got anyone to certify/sign you reflections or case studies etc any work you have done? I am currently doing the competencies but stuck with whether every appendix needs some kind of signature?
    thanks

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I sent my application and the portfolio before 1 Sep 2009. I used the old application form but the new checklist. I listed all my work, including reflective statements, presentation PowerPoints at work and the university, research projects, etc. On the last page of the new checklist, you will have to self-declare that those listed are all belonged and done by you.

I went to the notary public to declare all graduation certificates, attendance certificates of workshops attended, job descriptions and apprasials from my old job (as I was not able to get my old boss to sign them). I asked my current boss to list out and sign each copy of the useful documents I got in my current job to certify they are mine.

I received a letter later to ask me to declare my name again as there were discrepancies in the order of my name in some of the evidences provided, otherwise, everything seemed OK and was accepted (said in the letter) and my application is being assessed currently.

If the new checklist with the self-declaration of own work hadn't come out before I sent the application, I would have declared everything and it would have cost me a lot. Therefore, I think as long as those are your own work, you only need to sign that self-declaration page.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Lisa,

You dont need to get anyone to certify the reflective statements although you do need to sign and date each of the reflective statements and also sign the declaration at the back of the application form.

Also just a quick bit of advice.... Check , check and triple check everything is in order as they have just put my application on hold as my solicitor put the date as 2010 not 2009 when they sign my statatory declaration!! they dont seem to be able to comprehend that this was a mistake in the solicitors behalf so the robots have just put it all on hold but atleast they didnt send my application back! They just sent me a letter to inform me!!

Also they seem to be unable to work out my work history even though this is all clearly documented in the application form, my CV and with my validation of work history forms......

Anyhow good luck with your application let us know how you get on and il do the same. I now have to send in a new application form for some reason they wont accept a phone call to clear it all up?? I will however keep you all updated as soon as I get any more information.

Thanks
    Chris

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by lisa0000 View Post
    Hiya, wondered if i could ask whether have you got anyone to certify/sign you reflections or case studies etc any work you have done? I am currently doing the competencies but stuck with whether every appendix needs some kind of signature?
    thanks
    Hiya

I got as many signatures as possible for in-service training, case studies, audits, research and service development project. Also got lots of references of people I worked with on research project, audits and/or when taught to students, juniors and nurses. Always add to your credibility if someone can vouch for any work you have done.

As for the reflective statements, it is your perso opinion so not really necessary. Just need date, name, position and signature.

Hope this helps.

Bx

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others