Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Eltgol

Has anyone ever heard of something called ELTGOL. I recently found it on the internet.I know it is an italian bronchial hygiene technique.Please if any one does know some thing about it be kind enough to mail me my mail ID is [email protected] .Thanks!!! posted by guysunil

tragetir
    I must admit .....I have never heard of it ,but will find out form my Medical contacts in Italy.

Last edited by physiobob; 19-01-2008 at 10:31 AM.

gpywwp
    this is exipration with the glottis open in lateral posture (ELTGOL)...
    sounds like huffing lying on the side....:hat

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entr...t=Abstract
    www.ersnet.org/learning_r...es/323.pdf

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Abu Dhabi
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Eltgol

This technique is a maneuver of slow expiration with the glottis open in lateral posture (ELTGOL, from the French, I’expiration lente totale glotte ouverte en decubitus lateral). This is an airway clearance treatment that uses lateral posture and lung volumes from functional residual capacity (FRC) to residual volume (RV); the aim of this technique is to control expiratory flow rate to avoid airway compression and paroxysmal cough.

The ELTGOL - Expiration Lente Totale Glotte Ouverte en infraLatéral (Slow Expiration Glottis Opened in infraLateral décubitus) involves the patient breathing from Functional Residual Capacity (FRC) to Residual Volume (RV) in lateral postures. Expiratory flow rate is controlled to avoid airway compression in this technique. Initially the target area is detected by auscultation of medium pitched crackles. Then the target area is positioned in infralatéral by making the patient to lie in side lying in order to obtain the best deflation of the lower lung. Patient is then instructed to do slow expirations, begun at the FRC to the RV. Physiotherapist then exerts an abdominal push of a hand and a pressure of counter-bracing on the level of the supralatéral costal wall of the other hand, to obtain the most complete infralateral lung deflation. ELTGOL can be done 10 minutes on each side, left and right lateral décubitus, guided by adventitious lung sounds heard at the mouth.