UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

interview questions help

Taping
    I hope my thread is in the right place

I had a recent interview for a Band 5 post and I was nearly ready to quit during the interview as it was getting difficult and my ideas are vanishing from my aging brain and plus the way the panel's face transforming from smiley into frowny faces wasn't really helpful. As I was digging out for an answer to their questions I was also saying to myself "I need more time to prepare next time" and you know my next interview? It will be my present employer. No pressure but I wanted to impress them. I know that I was not hundred percent ready for that interview but I really tried my very best and gave everything I can and gain more experience. My English is not excellent and especially when the panel asked you to elaborate your ideas, that is where I find it hard to come out with more. So, I made some change to the way I am going to prepare my interview in 4 days time.
    My ideas:
    1. writing it on bullet points, recite them by heart and expand
    2. is it okay to pause prior to answering questions?
    3. come back to the questions if ideas doesn't come out

more ideas please!

Questions I was asked, any idea is very much appreciated
    1. How do you support a struggling assistant?
    2. Scenario 1. You received 2 referrals but you know you can only see 1. What are you going to do? I did say prioritising my caseload through triage by reading medical notes if patient can wait til next day. If it happens to be the 2 patient is for discharge or chest patient then I will liase to my team if they can help me. Any more ideas please?
    3. What is an effective MDT?
    4. Respect and Dignity Scenario. A patient wanted to go home and you know they are not safe yet. How will you deal with this kind of patient while keeping respect and dignity.

I hope you can help me guys.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: interview questions help

Hi Killerbee,
    first of all ... don't despair. You will be OK.

English language: You "compete" with other applicants, so, the best one will be taken. If you know that you have got deficits in an area that is one of the major skills of a Physiotherapist (communication and education), then I would like to suggest first of all that you start looking into improving your English language skills. But that should be a long-term plan and noted in your 'weak areas'. But you must have a plan for this at hand.

Your ideas: 1. Don't write down answers and learn them by heart. Bullet points and rehearsing them with a friend is a great idea.
    2. It's not only OK, it's expected! However, there is a fine line between the quick pause to consider questions and appropriate answers and the aura of silence that comes with 'digging for ideas'.
    3. No, not a good idea in general. You do not have to have all the answers, but need to demonstrate that you can reflect and consider all the points that might lead you to an answer.

Questions: I cannot give you answers, as they would be my answers, based on my work and life experience. You need to find your own. But a few thoughts:
    1. That's a very broad question. Did you consider a contra question, e.g. "What exactly does the assistant struggle with?" And then, well, how would you support someone that struggles in general? Think about how you would like to be supported yourself. Empathy, supervision, life support/ double ups, teaching/ tutorials, reflections, ....
    2. Prioritisation first - each hospital might have different guidelines for this; check your current prioritisation consideration polices; if both patients are priority 1 - liaise with team and then superior; consider working over-time if there is a policy, this might be another avenue; as is using the on-call service - again, all depending on local policies
    3. You should have good ideas about this. Refer back to your undergrad training manuals, too. Think about client-centred care.
    4. Know your national patient's code of rights and your professional code of ethics. Be aware of services that are available for continuation of services outside of the hospital.

Hope this helps a bit,
    cheers,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Canada
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others