Current Location
    usa
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Exclamation i need help pls!!

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    i have a 47 y/o female im treating now, pt is being treated for pilriformis syndrome by a previous PT in same clinic and there has been much progress as per pt in the past 2 weeks, however Wikipedia reference-linkMRI of L hip jt shows no fx or dislocation or djd in the hip area bt w mild tendonitis of proximal hamstring.
    my concern now is that pt came to d clinic today w sharp pain in the anterio medial / lateral thigh w/ numbness n Wikipedia reference-linkradiculopathy lateral part of the knee. there was no localized pain on the hip jt, SLR test(+) @ 45 - 60 degree L w/ sharp pain at above mentioned area , (any hip flexion or trunk flexion mvt) bt pt denied any back pain. faber test on left was negative, . could this be an herniation or just a dysfunction in the biomechanics of the pelvis?

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Nigeria
    Current Location
    Nigeria
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: i need help pls!!

Hi Spy007,looking into your assessment and giving room for the possibility of an oversite,the problem i guess remains pirifomis syndrome.
    The piriformis can go into spasm if the pt overdo his exercise or carried out her program wrongly. Piriformis would go back into spam at slightest opportunity,compressing on the siatic nerve eliciting radicular pain.

Yes,SLR the affected limb would further worsen the torniquet effect of already hyperactive piriformis muscle and more pain ensue.
    I think what has happened is nothing but a relapse and the pt must be causioned against over exercising or not complying with precribed home program.
    Just what u already know that PS mgt must be tallored along evidence based protocol to succeed.

I wish u all the best.yelufem.

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

My question would be what is the client doing (or what had they been doing) that lead to the issue in the first place. Remember that you are focusing at the moment on symptoms but these should only be used to understand the cause. To many symptoms are just going to confuse you. Let's work backwards a few weeks or even months to see what she might have some tendinosis/itis of the proximal hamstring. And which hamstring at that? This type of thing doesn't come on by sitting on a chair. The lateral issues on the knee could indeed be related to hamstring dysfunction (and therefore the lateral joint line) and or proximal tib/fib issues. But yet again we must consider the lower limb biomechanics to see what it is that she is doing that is resulting in her problem. Does she have a rotational instability (ALC or PCL issues) in the knee. Please do share this information.

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    usa
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

thanks guys for all ur suggestion, i will be seeing the pateint again this week... and i def will get more infor and cont w my assessment, sharemore details asap