Country
    Flag of Netherlands
    Current Location
    Amsterdam
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

neck pain, painful muscles, difficulty swallowing .... all caused by hypermobility?

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    Could someone please help me with neck complaints? I've had xrays taken but now have to wait over a month for results because my doc went on holiday. Meanwhile the pain is getting worse and i'm thinking of maybe going to a manual therapeut of fysio. I got send the xrays ( see below) but obviously being no doctor i cannot make much sense of it.

Complaints i have are:neck1.jpgneck2.jpg
    Pain, dizziness when moving neck backwards, crepitations around C7, tingling and occasional numbness in left arm. Very tight muscles around larynx, lots of mucus, chronic nasal drip. I also have hypermobility in all joints, including frequent jaw subluxations.

My doctor gave me valium for the muscle spasms & to help my jaw recover but i had to stop taking it because of apnea.

I've also had swallowing difficulty for a while now. Had a barium test done 6 months ago and results was slightly slower functioning of oesaphagus than normal. I think it's been getting worse, it feels like the swallowing reflex is repressed, it hurts, and my voice sounds strange after i eat or drink something. Also lot of coughing. Could it be just tense muscles?

Could anyone help shed some light on this? So i know where to turn to next?

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Poland
    Current Location
    Poland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: neck pain, painful muscles, difficulty swallowing .... all caused by hypermobility?

hi

You should go to a manual physio, cos i think apart of c7/th1 discopathy, straight curve, got problem with upper part of the cervical spine.
    yaro

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of South Africa
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: neck pain, painful muscles, difficulty swallowing .... all caused by hypermobility?

Hello Rianne80,
    I will try and shed some light on your problem. If you have a forward head posture you will need to draw your head backwards and tuck your chin under gently.If the muscles on either side of your neck are tense then you will feel the stretch. This is not the same as moving your head backwards into extension.This often causes dizziness especially when women try and hang washing up on the line. It closes down the facets joints when you do this.If you tuck your chin under then the muscles around the larynx shouldn't be on a stretch.Because your head is tilted backwards you are getting the mucus running down.You need to do this deep neck flexion exercise especially if you have hypermobility.
    Are you short in stature as if this is the case you will be constantly looking upwards, so remember to tuck your chin in gently.

One of the possible reasons for your voice sounding strange could be acid reflux as this is especially noticeable after eating.The acid runs up and irritates the vocal chords causing hoarseness. This would also explain the coughing as it could be the acid reflux or the post nasal drip. You may need to exclude any hayfever/allergy etc if this is recurrent.
    Tension at the best of times doesn't help and you will be holding your jaw tense too, may be.

If you want to know more about how to look after your neck I have a neck book called "Don't let neck pain ruin your life" on Amazon Kindle selling for £2.98.
    Don't feel pressured to buy it but I feel for you as neck pain is horrible.
    Hope this helps,
    Regards,
    cam474