Current Location
    Scotland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thigh pain.

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    I'm presently treating a man who works in a fish factory doing long shifts of manual work. He was coming downstairs and felt his knee pop and then had severe pain. The knee then became very swollen. At the initial assessment he was very dependant on a crutch and walked on his toes on the paiful sideAs he could not straghten his knee. Because the knee was so painful, I could not carry out any real testbut worked over the lateral meniscus and lateral ligament. After a few treatments the pain in the meniscus seems to have settled, but he describes a burning sensation in the lateral quads rstanding with a straight knee for a few minutes. On flexing the knee again he describes the feeling of "ants" on his thigh. I wondered if there could even be a lumbar problem here and gave him some lumbar extension exercisesbut this did not seem to make any difference. I have requested his GP to arrange a scan of the knee. IS there a connection with a torn meniscus and lateral thigh numbness? Would appreciate your thoughts and help. Cheers.