Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

shin splints?????

Hi,

Patient is complaining of pain over the shin about half way down between the knee and ankle and it is tender over an area of about 1 inch in diameter and with a slight depression.

They also have under the skin lumps and bumps that can be felt. Could this possibly be shin splints? The person is a runner and only gets the pain whilst running.

I am sorry I cannot give more details as I have only spoken to this patient over the telephone so far. I was wondering mostly if lumps and bumps are common with shin splints? or any other ideas???

Thanks alot

Netty

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    COLLEGE STATION TEXAS
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: shin splints?????

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    In a nutshell I ran alot in the army on pavement. I have wide feet with a small very small arch. I get very bad shin splints to the point i feel numbness in my foot. Ive tried iceing them down ibuprofen. Im a highschool football referee and running up and down that field kills me any suggestions out there

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    davidwillson
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: shin splints?????

Quote Originally Posted by ginger View Post
    "shin splints " hey, yeah sure. referred pain from L3/4 more likely. What is it that keeps you allowing repeats of methods that don't work , five series of treatments to your legs with no results, you must get very frustrated. I can't give you the name of the physio who will fix your referred pain problem . I would feel like I had ignored your pleas for help however if I allowed you to continue to get inappropriate treatments for a simple low back nerve irritation and went on to have , god forbid , surgery. That would merely add further insullt to your compounded woes.
    Find a physio who is willing and able to mobilise L3 and L4 in your low back . The best method is known as Continuous Mobilisation. Applied with skill and persistance , passive movements to these facet joints will release protective responses there that have lead to an inflammatory event (s) of nerve roots . It is the effects then of altered nerve physiology that has created an altered sensation picture which is interpreted as pain . It is common in these cases to also have local redness and perhaps swelling to the painfull region . This presents a quandary for the young players or inexperienced therapist . Untill or unless your lower lumbar spine has been returned to an unprotected mobile state , your medial leg referred pain will persist.
    Either find a more experienced physio who will treat your back or convince your current therapist not to follow the course that has been thoroughly and convincingly demonstrated to be ineffective and incorrect.
    Cheers
    I am a PT patient. I have been diagnosed with MTSS/ Periostitis/Shin splints. I have been non responsive to any therapies for 1 and 1/2 years. I have a very involved history, but in summary, I started with bilateral calf pain in March '06. Calf pain mostly resolved, but medial shin pain persists. I had an ultrasound on Tuesday, September 4. The tech showed me my tibia where it lines up with healthy tissue around my knee. As she moved the wand south, the area surrounding the tibia all turned black, because there was no signal response. The tissue had all seperated from the tibia. She said she had never seen periostits this bad. She went and summoned the Dr. who gave me the number for a surgeon.

[url=http://moviesonlinefree.biz/]watch movies online[/url]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12