Current Location
    Glasgow
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Question Vertebral fractures with no known cause

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    In January 2019 my mum in law started getting pain in her back (thoracic area on the right side) with no history of trauma.
    She attended a physio who provided exercises and carried out manipulations (exact details unknown). After these she felt her pain moved more centrally but thought no more about it at the time.
    The physio then suggested she may have Osteoporosis. A dexa scan followed and showed 3 compression fractures but all other investigations were well within normal limits, including for Osteopenia and bone cancer.
    She’d had a CT scan in December 2018 for another reason and when this was rechecked there were no spinal fractures present.
    She has also been investigated by Haematology but again all results were normal.
    So she has 3 vertebral compression fractures with no apparent reason for them and at present no plans for further investigations.
    I’m a physio to trade but haven’t done MSK for years. My questions therefore are:
    - does anyone have any experience of a similar situation?
    - without a history of osteoporosis, is it at all feasible that manipulations could have caused this?
    Many thanks in advance