Current Location
    Kentucky, United States
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Knee extension ROM prone vs supine

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    Hi guys. I wanted to get the thoughts of different therapist on this issue that, surely, everyone has encountered. It relates to knee extension ROM in post surgical patients performed in supine vs prone. Why is supine so much more painful and limited than prone? I can take a TKR/ACL into full extension in prone without pain, flip them over and suddenly they're short by 7 degrees with pain! At first I thought it was just measurement error but I prop the knee, avoid hip compensation and align properly. Then I thought maybe it's hip flexor tightness but that doesn't make sense because the hip is in extension while prone. Hamstring tightness wouldn't be the source. It's more of a curiosity than a problem. They other clinicians don't have a satisfactory answer. What do you guys think? Have y'all noticed this?

Brett