Current Location
    cardiff
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

neck support/collar for head drop

Hi All,

I am loving this forum, just discovered it recently!
    I am looking for recommendations for a good neck support for head drop. My partner cannot hold his own head very often and it drops forwards and to one side (laterally). We have been searching for a suitable neck support or collar that keeps the head up and chin tucked as well as offers lateral support, so his head doesn't tip in one direction. Any recommendations welcome.
    Also, if anyone has ideas for exercises to strengthen the back of the head so he could hold his head up (any that we can practise in lying or sitting position) great!

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Canberra, ACT, AUSTRALIA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: neck support/collar for head drop

Hi littlerachet

Sorry no one responded to your post - We are usually pretty good about responding but your query just missed out.

There are a large variety of collars available and if this is the right thing to do in the case your partner, getting a really comfortable one is important as he would be wearing it a lot of the time and for a long time. Lightness but resilience, comfort with no areas of friction between the collar and the skin, good ventilation (they can get hot and sweaty) are all important points.

Here is an example of a database that includes a number of products. It is good to see a picture of it before approaching the company

AbleData: Products

Have you sought professional help over this? A neurological physio who deals with the sorts of conditions that your partner faces should be able to give you sound advice both about the collar and about appropriate exercises to improve stability of the neck/trunk. I would be reluctant to give you such advice without having fully assessed your partner's needs.

junior_physiotherapist

Wink Re: neck support/collar for head drop

Hello All,

Yes,I do agree with last input what is the diagnosis of yours partner!!! .....and full assessment of him....

P.S. Dont forget the hyginec issues regarding the collars..

Regards,