Current Location
    cardiff
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Toe off for foot drop AND twisting?

Hi All,

I am looking at the Toe off orthosis for my partner to replace the hideous NHS issue he has at the moment.
    Now this looks great for his foot drop, but will this also do for twisting at the ankle? His foot twists inwards and he has very little strength on the outside of the ankle so in his standing frame without support his ankle collapses outwards. Would the toe off provide enough support for the ankle in standing practise?
    Has anyone used one of these before?

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Canberra, ACT, AUSTRALIA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Toe off for foot drop AND twisting?

Hi littlerachet

This company produces a range of AFOs and I understand some are designed for Lateral instability (turning in so you land on the outside board of the foot) and some are not. In theory they are a very nice product and have excellent ergonomic design.

However there is no one answer as to which is the best and whether it will handle your partners lateral instability problem. The amount of force of the turning in can be affected by muscle contracture and also the presence of spasticity.

I would advise you to purchase one via an orthotist and/or with the help of a physiotherapist who is familiar with these products and has assessed your partners foot/ankle. Get to try it on with quite a bit of walking on different surfaces before choosing to buy it. Don't buy it without trying it. The orthotist should be able to advise you on whether one of these products is appropriate.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    ontario
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Toe off for foot drop AND twisting?

Hi,
    My son has foot drop after dislocating his knee and we are looking for a AFO that will allow him to return to an active life.
    The ToeOFF product had some some good reviews.
    There are three models each offering increasing ankle stability.
    You can find all the information at

AllardUSA.com

I would like to know if you have success and would appreiciate any feedback.
    See a professional regarding appropriteness as the previous post stated.
    Good luck,
    Emileesmom